Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does your baby "ask" to nurse?

Default How does your baby "ask" to nurse?

My son is almost 10 months now. We used to feed on demand meaning anytime he fussed I would offer the boob. But for the past month or so we've gotten into a routine where I nurse at wakeup, before and after 2 daily naps, clusterfeed at 5pm and bedtime (and then whenever he wakes at night, about 3-4 times). This happened mostly because he was so distracted during the day that I synced his nursings to before and after naps because he fed the best when drowsy. Also because when he fussed and I offered, he usually wasn't interested anymore. His weight gain is OK though he has always been on a 3 percentile curve so I'd be happy to feed him more. He is eating 3 meals a day of puree (2 tbsps each).

My question is, at this age what are typical ways that babies "ask" to nurse? He doesn't display hunger cues like he used to. And fussing has become unreliable. I want to make sure I'm not missing times when he's hungry. And I'd also like to feed him more during the day and less at night if possible. He usually only nurses on one side at a time for 3 min, should I offer both sides? He is always so eager to roll off the boppy when finished and wants to start playing. Sorry for all the rambling, basically I'm curious how other moms with distracted 10 month olds feed on demand. I think if he could have his way, he would do all his nursing at night =P

Default Re: How does your baby "ask" to nurse?

My daughter, currently 12.5 months, has been pulling at my top since prob 9 or 10 mos. She will come up to me and pull at it. She also knows the word milk (not sure if she knows the sign but it's squeezing your hand closed a couple times like you're squeezing an udder while saying milk) so sometimes I offer by saying 'milk' and giving the sign even if she doesn't ask. Usually that's when I've played with her for over an hour and I'm pooped and I want to nurse her down for a nap. ! Of course sometimes my magic milk just seems to re energize her.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

My baby and third child just turned a year old. I nurse her just as I always have-whenever it seems like a good idea. Besides nap and bed times, and any time she squirms around or wakes at night (or during naps if I am napping as well) I also will offer to nurse at these 'cues' - Is she fussy, cranky, rubbing her eyes, acting tired? Actually crying, such as from an owie? Am I tired and want to lie down or sit down and get a little rest? Is she asking to be held, no longer content to play on the ground, or reaching to me from someone else’s arms? Has she just eaten and is thirsty? Am I feeling full or feeling a let down (not all moms feel letdowns esp. at this age but I do, at least with this baby. ) In any of these cases and probably many more I cannot think of, I will usually offer to nurse. Sometimes she just wants a little, sometimes longer. Sometimes both sides, more often one. Sometimes she does not want to nurse at all, but I have always figured it never hurts to offer.

My almost 9 month old "asks" by divebombing onto my chest, ha! Or trying to latch through my shirt.

I offer very frequently, though. She knows the milk sign and will respond with excitement after I use it if she wants to nurse.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    My baby and third child just turned a year old. I nurse her just as I always have-whenever it seems like a good idea. Besides nap and bed times, and any time she squirms around or wakes at night (or during naps if I am napping as well) I also will offer to nurse at these 'cues' - Is she fussy, cranky, rubbing her eyes, acting tired? Actually crying, such as from an owie? Am I tired and want to lie down or sit down and get a little rest? Is she asking to be held, no longer content to play on the ground, or reaching to me from someone else’s arms? Has she just eaten and is thirsty? Am I feeling full or feeling a let down (not all moms feel letdowns esp. at this age but I do, at least with this baby. ) In any of these cases and probably many more I cannot think of, I will usually offer to nurse. Sometimes she just wants a little, sometimes longer. Sometimes both sides, more often one. Sometimes she does not want to nurse at all, but I have always figured it never hurts to offer.
    I do the same as Meg. I just offer whenever, at the cues she suggests above -- because my 14 month old is waaaay too busy to ask anymore! He also does more of his nursing at night now, and I've just adapted/accepted it.

But when he does ask, he will nuzzle my chest. It's cute. (He doesn't have words yet, and although he understands the signs I give to him, like "milk," he doesn't sign back yet.)
    Last edited by @llli*mercystreet; August 5th, 2013 at 08:20 AM. Reason: typo

My 17-mo asks by making the "milk" sign and saying "nuk nuk nuk" over and over. When he sees I am getting ready to nurse him, he also gets very excited and starts clapping his hands and saying "yay!" It's adorable.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

My 5 1/2 month old will hit my chest and throw her head into me if I am holding her. If we are playing on the floor or bed she will get as close to me as she can by rolling and then face plant onto me and start sucking whatever she can get in her mouth. (usually my leg (: ) I look forward to her being old enough to ask as her current methods of requesting nursing are somewhat violent
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

My almost 8 month old makes a very clear move to the breast or will suck on my chin, my face, anything! She doesn't ask all the time, I offer about half the time and she asks the other half. If I'm not holding her and my husband is and I walk by, she literally grabs my entire face and hair, "Hey Mom!".
    and Mama to two little girls

My 7 month old makes an "mmmmm" sound. When we reply with "milk?" or the milk sign, she gets excited and gets more emphatic.

My twenty three month old says, in the sweetest tone and most polite way, "Ninga please?", I always cave in when I hear Please Doc wanted me to wean three weeks ago.
    Taylor Don 10/24/98-11/22/98
    Katie Elena 8/24/11