Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: painfully nursing my toddler w/mastitis

Default painfully nursing my toddler w/mastitis

this is the second time i've had mastitis. my LO is 18 months old. last time was in december when my wee lad was 10 months old. it was pretty awful... but he was still small enough that nursing him with a painfully sore breast wasn't to bad. this is the second time i've had it and he's just doing a number on me. it's so painful it brings me to tears. this is after a hard week of constant nursing and sleeplessness (i think he has molars coming in). he's still nursed on demand and still nurses most of the night and i'm worn out. i don't want to end nursing like this. i want to keep on until he's at least 2. i'm just feeling so down and out and awful.

it hit on friday. i had a refill on my antibiotics from last time so i started those right away. i've been alternating heat and cold. cabbage leaves. nursing and if that's too painful pumping. any other helpful tips on nursing my little guy through this? i'm going to follow up with DR tomorrow as it seems like the problem area may be worse than last time. or it just feels worse emotionally.

Default Re: painfully nursing my toddler w/mastitis

Aw, I feel your pain I've been dealing with recurring mastitis for 4 months now, so I've tried everything. So I have suggestions: tons of vitamin C and maybe echinacea, hot baths that you massage the breast in, especially face-down for gravity's help and on the plugged duct if you can tell where it is, castor oil compresses. Don't wear a bra, or if you have to, make sure it's loose and change nursing pads frequently. Lots of rest of course - lie down as much as you can, sleep as much as you can. I hope you start to feel better very soon!!

I hope no one here thinks that I have finally fallen off my rocker for giving the same suggestion twice on two different threads but
    Mimbrooklyn, I have met women who's mastitis/plugged duct struggles cleared up after going to the dentist and getting a good cleaning, cavities drilled and filled.
    Its might be worth a try.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

thanks ladies... i will do all of this. i'm overdue for a dentist visit since we moved last fall. eek! my LO and i spent most of yesterday afternoon and night in bed nursing. i'm feeling much better today. moist heat and massage seems to be helping. i'll up my VIT C too.