Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night Nursing, too much?

Default Night Nursing, too much?

My 7.5 month old nurses a lot. She nurses about 7 times from 6am-6pm, and then about 7 times from 6pm-6am. We bed share. She is healthy, very happy.

She's eating solids, she usually has fruit for breakfast or avocado, and then whatever we have for dinner. She maybe consumes 1 Tbsp food per day, she feeds herself. She does actually swallow the food. Sometimes eats less, sometimes a bit more. I notice no change in nursing habits regardless of solid consumption.

Is she nursing so much because she is really hungry? She always triggers letdown and drinks. I would like to cut back a bit on the night nursing, but since we bedshare I feel like she wants it because it's available. 7 times while asleep seems like a lot though...

Anyone else having a similar experience? This has been going on for about a month.
    and Mama to two little girls

Default Re: Night Nursing, too much?

that sounds like an absolutely normal eating routine to me, for a 7.5 month old. remember that milk/formula should be the PRIMARY food until a year, with everything else just supplement. so i don't think it sounds like she's nursing "too much" at night at all. now, often people are concerned about their own sleep, but that's a different issue. i personally would not cut back on night nursing until a year, again because milk needs to be primary, and the busier kids get in their 2nd 6 months, they often get distracted during the day and nurse at night. oh, and yes, of course, she's nursing because she's hungry! and because it's soothing and helps her get back to sleep. all totally developmentally normal and typical. my advice for dealing with the 7 times waking? get rid of your bedroom clock and stop counting
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    my advice for dealing with the 7 times waking? get rid of your bedroom clock and stop counting

This! I cannot agree more with this. My almost 9 month old probably nurses that many times overnight. Probably, I say, because I have learned that both counting and clock watching are detrimental to my sleep in a big way, so I don't know for sure what is happening. But lots of night feeding sounds really normal to me.

Thanks ladies! I don't really "count" and I have never had a clock in the bedroom for that very reason But, this is my first experience so I was just surprised that she'd be nursing almost twice as often as when she was a newborn. I know that was oversupply in the beginning. All I ever heard people say was that babies gradually nurse less after starting solids, but mine nurses way more!

Glad to know all is well and normal. I don't think I really could cut back on the night nursing anyway, I mean she sleeps with/on/next to me so it's not like I'm going to refuse and let her cry. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sonogirl View Post

This! I cannot agree more with this. My almost 9 month old probably nurses that many times overnight. Probably, I say, because I have learned that both counting and clock watching are detrimental to my sleep in a big way, so I don't know for sure what is happening. But lots of night feeding sounds really normal to me.
    and Mama to two little girls

i found that ds nursed gradually less often from about 9 months, when he started taking more solids, except when he was sick or teething, and then it was as much as a newborn (21 months was rough ...) but babies are all different, and you never know what you've got! your baby is hardly taking ANY solids right now (as it should be) - but i think most people tend to way overdo the solids, so they're filling baby up so of course baby will nurse less. hang in there!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I'm having a similar problem with my twenty three month old; she nursed all night last night! When I tried to unlatch her, she'd cry and fight to get back on the breast! I attribute her constant nursing to teething; maybe your's is teething?
    Taylor Don 10/24/98-11/22/98
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

Thanks for posting, because I was wondering about the same thing! People have started looking at me funny when I tell them how much solid food he eats (about the same amount as your LO). He is also 7.5 months. My grandmother almost had a conniption fit (but she bottle fed all of her babies and knows nothing about bfing) He likes to nurse a lot at nights too now that we have started bed sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*karrieperry View Post
    All I ever heard people say was that babies gradually nurse less after starting solids, but mine nurses way more!
    I think it depends on the baby and there seems to be a lot of variation. For example our experience was that as LO started getting into solids (around 1 yr) he also got really mobile ... so due to a variety of factors, he got less interested in nursing *during the day* because he's just so busy! ... but I saw no change in the night nursing -- whether it's teething, comfort, illness, reconnection with mom, or just rounding out his caloric intake. I know that's probably not what you want to hear... it's not what I would prefer, that's for sure! I lost the upside of daytime nursing (snuggle time) and still have the downside of night nursing (being woken up every 2 hrs ish? not sure either, I stopped counting and clock watching too!). I just accept it for what it is and try to be patient knowing they outgrow everything eventually

My DS1 would nurse every couple of hours at night until he was almost 2. He ate solids well and still nursed the same during the day. DS2 is nursing a little less at night and eating solids about the same. Neither got much by way of solids and always nursed(bottle at sitters) first. I have already resigned to knowing that DS2 will most likely nurse mutliple times a night until 2 or longer. It stinks and it would be nice to get a full nights sleep...but this phase will pass and before I know it. We bedshare as well, and I generally just swap sides and let him keep nursing. I fall asleep pretty much as soon as he latches.

I will say that after about 18 mo I started only night nursing on one side... he wasn't really nursing for milk, more for comfort because he would only nurse to one let down. My body adjusted and it was never an issue. I always found having to switch sides was interrupting my sleep more than the actual nursing part.

Are you able to sleep while she nurses?
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03
    Our family blog
    And my own blog