Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Period

Default Period

I know I've made a bazillion crazy threads but here's one more!

I am 7 weeks PP on Wednesday and last night I started spotting. This morning is it heavier and acting like a period, in that it's slightly brownish mixed with red.

I bled till about 4 weeks and have had light white lochia till a few days ago. I EP'd till about 4 weeks. I EBF now, and have done so around the clock with zero supplementation (except one bottle my husband gave him yesterday which he didn't finish)... I called my OB to ask and she simply said that it could be my period and to watch to see if I soaked through a pad an hour but she wasn't worried.

I thought I couldn't get my period this soon while EBFing? Could the fact that I pumped make me get it earlier? I had a pretty decent supply.

Sorry for all the questions.

Default Re: Period

There's a wide variation in the time it takes for nursing moms to get their fertility back. Some will get is back within a few weeks or months of birth despite following all the rules, others will go for years even if they don't follow all the rules!

My guess is that this is probably just the last gasp of your lochia. But maybe be a little extra cautious- make sure you note this on the calendar and be careful about using birth control. If you see this again about a month from now, that means that what you're experiencing now was more likely to be a period than lochia.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

and ... you are so awesome for getting to EBF! there were lots of times you never thought you'd be here, and never so soon!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Hi apefera! Yes, unfortunately a mom CAN possibly get her period this early even when ebf. Even if baby was ebf from day one. It's unusual, but it happens.

That said, I would not at this early a date be POSITIVE it is a period and not possibly a last gush of post partum lochia. However, on the chance it IS a period I would suggest be very careful about pregnancy prevention.

Edit whoops there I go repeating mommal again!

I have my PP visit this week and have to decide about birth control, actually. I planned to get the implanon but recently read that it can occasionally damage supply. Any suggestions on something better?

Thanks ladies.

Auderey: I know! Baby really DID just get it one day! I'm so proud of him!~

Any way you can avoid hormone based bc entirely? You have worked too hard to get messed up by bc now! If you chose a barrier method until you are done breastfeeding, you will have no worries at all about your bc harming breastfeeding. Even if you can do barrier methods for the first 6 months that would be much safer, breastfeeding wise. IMO condoms get a bad rap. When used correctly, (actually put on every time a couple has intercourse in the first place, put on correctly, and not re-used) condoms are very effective as birth control. There was in interesting study that showed that when women were educated about and took the responsibility of using condoms (rather than leaving it to the man) the effectiveness rate rose dramatically.

If you must use hormone based I would suggest talking to your hcp about the mini (progestin-only) pill. Yes you have to be very careful to take it about the same time each day, as you should with any bc pill. But theoretically it will not mess with production (although many women report it does) and if it does, (or if it causes any of the other unwanted side effects of hormone based bc) you can simply stop taking the pill.

I suggest calling www.infantrisk.org to discuss how your bc choices might affect breastfeeding.

I have to discuss it with my husband.

If I stopped taking it would my supply go back up?

I have to take my thyroid meds at the same time every day so it wouldn't be an issue really.

i had implanon for a year, and normally like/don't mind hormonal bc, but i would avoid it while breastfeeding. because it's a relatively involved surgical procedure to get in & out, and so if your supply tanks, then it'll be at least a few days, likely longer, before you can get it out. while with the pill or the patch or nuvaring or something else, you can end the hormones instantly on your own. even an IUD would likely be easier/faster to have removed if necessary than implanon.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

If you can avoid the hormone-based methods, do!!!

What are you looking for in a contraceptive? Ease of use? Maximum reliability? Are you okay with a barrier in the way of skin-to-skin sensation? Are you and your DH people who can easily achieve "perfect" use of a contraceptive, or are you the the of people who will sometimes throw caution to the winds?

Some non-hormonal options that work well for nursing moms: condoms, diaphragm and spermicide combo, cervical cap, sponge, contraceptive films, gels, and foams.

If you decide a hormonal option is what you want, my feeling is that you want to go for the mini-pill. If it causes problems with supply, you simply stop taking it, and it should be more or less immediately reversible. You definitely want to avoid the combination estrogen-progestin methods, like the "regular" pill, the patch, and the ring, since those are known to cause problems with supply. I would also avoid the non-reversible methods like the Depo shot.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I love my Mirena iud, but some women seem to be very sensitive to even the low level of progestin in it as far as supply. The copper iud wouldn't affect your supply, but it's known to cause really heavy periods.

I got my Mirena right at my six week visit, but I'd had one before, and had very well established (over)supply. Though with the minimal amount of sex I've had since my baby was born, condoms would've been fine, too!