Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 month old schedule and being fussy

Default Re: 3 month old schedule and being fussy

I do offer him the breast now at the 2 hour feed and he protests and cries, I'm offering it to him every 15 minutes thereafter and he won't take it until we reach the 3 hour mark today so maybe his feeding routine is just changing to 3 hourly. The feed only lasts 5-7 minutes still though, even though it's an hour later than usual. I'm hoping he's still getting enough. I should be happy that his feeds are spacing out more but I'm anxious!
    It's so hard to know when he's hungry though. He has the hand in his mouth nearly all of the time. I just lift him and see will he turn towards my breast with mouth open. That's how I know these days.
    Thank you so much for all your help.

Hang in there. I know exactly how you feel!

Could you go get him weighed from time to time to allay your fears? Most peds will be willing to bring you in for a weightcheck.

Thanks Apifera, what solved the problem was he wasn't hungry! I stretched the feeds out to 3 hourly and now he is feeding no problem! He just wasn't hungry at the 2 hour interval. So his routine was just changing.
    I can get him weighed whenever I want so will do it tomorrow.

Yeah, every time you get used to their routine it'll change

This is completely normal and, in fact, 6 hours at night is really good at this age. At 5 months old I'm still not quite seeing that consistently with mine. I understand how frustrating the fussiness can be. It will get better with time. Mine are mostly happy in the evenings now, though they had crying fits a lot at 2-3 months. When they get overtired they will refuse the breast until I calm them down. I usually go straight for the ergo baby carrier when nursing isn't working. I can bounce one for 15 minutes or so without getting worn out and that will usually calm them down or put them right to sleep. It's PERFECT when we are out and about, too. Does your baby like walks? Mine love their stroller and sometimes when they are fussy we just pack up and go to the mall, the park, or an outdoor event like a craft fair and walk around. He'll probably get better at eating in public, but if not, then he'll start getting better at waiting and making up for it at home. He's probably already doing that now. We took the twins to a concert recently and I got frustrated because they were so distracted and wouldn't eat and I was getting uncomfortably full, but as soon as the sun went down they completely emptied my breasts in a matter of minutes. It was just too beautiful out for them to focus on food, and I totally get where they're coming from!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*justme82 View Post
    He is on about the 40th percentile in weight now and that is why I am saying he is underweight. Maybe this is wrong? He is on the 90th for height.
    I am just afraid because his feeding routine has changed this week- he is only feeding for about 3 minutes every 2 hours this past week, Unless I take him to bed and feed him. Then he does his normal 15 minutes. I am stuck in the house as I'm taking him to bed to have his 'proper' feed i.e 15 minutes. When I go out or feed him in the cradle hold he only feeds for 3 minutes.

40th percentile is great! Definitely not underweight. Mine are in the 15th percentile and are at a perfectly healthy weight.

A baby becomes more and more efficient at extracting milk. Sometimes my younger twin eats for 5 minutes and I'm always surprised, especially when she does this after I get home from work and she empties an overly full breast that quickly. At the two month mark it took her HOURS to get enough!