Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 month old schedule and being fussy

Default 3 month old schedule and being fussy

My baby nurses every 2 hours during the day and sleeps 6 hours at night. Is this normal?
    Also this past week he has been really fussy on the breast. Usually during the day his feeds would last 15 minutes. Now he will suck for 1-3 minutes then protests that he's finished and I sit him up, burp him and he won't go back on. Is he possibly getting enough in those minutes? Then I go up to bedroom and lie down with him, sing to him and pat his back he eventually will start to feed again and feed for 10/15 minutes.
    This has tied me down, can't leave the house as he is so fussy. He is drooling a lot so he may be teething? He is underweight so I want to feed him as much as I can, leaving the house means he misses a proper feed.
    Should I space out his feeds to 2 and a half or 3 hours? Maybe then he will be more hungry and stay on breast longer?
    We are going on holidays next week and I am dreading it. I'll be stuck in the apartment all week with him! Please help!

Default Re: 3 month old schedule and being fussy

From my understanding that's pretty text book normal. I wish my baby ate every 2 hours... he eats every hour, sometimes multiple times! LOL. I think that when it comes to breastfeeding there's a whole range of normal.

Mine sometimes only eats for 3-5 minutes. His gain has been almost 2 oz a day one week then 1 oz a day the next... he gained MORE the week he was eating like that, and less the week I tried to extend his feedings. I know there can be a ton of variables, but that's my experience- and the words of my IBCLC were "As long as he's gaining, having sufficient wet and poopy diapers, then it's normal and baby is just fine."

I don't think you should try to space out the feedings. You should continue to offer on demand. Baby knows when he needs to eat.

It's possible you have a faster letdown? I know I do on the left and it causes him to pop off and fuss when I let down.

Thank you Apifera, I do have fast letdown on one side, that's mad your baby put on more weight the week he fed less!
    How do you know when a three month old is hungry? He constantly has his fist in his mouth as I think he's teething. He doesn't root any more. I know crying is the last sign of hunger so I don't want to wait till then.

I found this useful http://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/bf-basics/hunger-cues/

But mine is like yours... he is always doing the fist to mouth thing and acting hungry so I feed him. If he refuses the breast I figure I can know the, for sure, that he's no longer hungry. Do babies teethe that early? I kind of thought it was more like 5-6 months but as I'm realizing every baby really is different!

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I am a little confused about what is your concern. Do you think your baby should be nursing less often, more often, longer each time?

From what I can tell from your description, your baby nurses about 10 times a day? That sounds normal. At three months a baby typically nurses a minimum of 8 times a 24 hour day, and more often is entirely normal. Nursing is not typically on a specific scedule. Each nursing session will typically vary in length.

However, if your baby is not gaining appropriately, that may (or may not) mean baby is not getting enough milk. So that would be something to look at further-is baby getting enough milk overall, and if not, why not.

Can you explain what you mean your baby is 'underweight?' Is this a medical diagnoses, is baby's gain poor, has baby always been small, etc.

Why are you stuck inside? Is there some reason you cannot nurse your baby outside?

How are you defining a 'proper feed' ?

Apologies for my confusing post!
    My baby was premature, he was under the 5th percentile in weight when we took him home at 5 weeks. He gained weight really well putting on between 8 and 10 oz per week. I exclusively breastfeed. Now he is putting on 6 oz per week as he stopped cluster feeding in the evenings and having one long sleep at night. He is on about the 40th percentile in weight now and that is why I am saying he is underweight. Maybe this is wrong? He is on the 90th for height.
    I am just afraid because his feeding routine has changed this week- he is only feeding for about 3 minutes every 2 hours this past week, Unless I take him to bed and feed him. Then he does his normal 15 minutes. I am stuck in the house as I'm taking him to bed to have his 'proper' feed i.e 15 minutes. When I go out or feed him in the cradle hold he only feeds for 3 minutes.

OK, thanks now I think I understand,

yes it is a common misconception but being 40th percentile does not mean a baby is underweight. Even being in the 1% percentile is not necessarily underweight. Weight gain charts measure the range of normal weight gain in normal healthy children. So a child is no more neccesarily less healthy at a lower percentile as they are at a higher one. Where things might be concerning (and why growth is ‘charted” this way) is if a baby drops significantly down from off baby’s own curve. And even that is often OK it is just then something to look at.

As far as the height and weight not being proportionate, I am not sure how significant that is. Not very, would be my guess. Especially because your baby’s weight gain rate has been excellent. 8-10 ounces per week is higher than average gain, and 6 is normal gain. I can see why, with your baby’s history, you are concerned about your baby’s gain rate dropping, but personally I am seeing nothing alarming in these numbers. Maybe baby has ‘caught up” as far as weight gain is concerned and is nursing less now because baby simply needs less.

OK, so now I understand the issue…baby nurses a very short time unless in bed. Do you think this is due to baby preferring the side lying position? Distractions? Something else?

Because your baby is nursing for such a very short period of time, while I do not think there is a problem yet, I agree that is something to look at.

I would suggest: Offer to nurse often, even before cues. If baby is going to nurse such short sessions, yes baby may possibly need to nurse more often. If baby will nurse more often, great, but no need to push it.

Take advantage of the lying in bed times. Even on vacation you will want to rest here and there, even during the day, possibly? Maybe not but I know if I were vacationing with a 3 month old I would want to take naps. Can you take baby to bed with you at least once a day and at night and nurse as much as baby will?

You have a ‘tall’ baby. So I wonder if cradle position is getting a bit uncomfortable for baby?
    If the issue is that cradle position, how about trying a laid back position? This is a position that CAN be done sitting up. Mom sits in a chair, leans back slightly, and has baby on her front to front, but more up and down instead of exactly across. Sorry I don’t know how else to describe it. You can Angle baby across you but with head above tummy instead of straight across…Ugh. I cannot describe it. I will try to find a picture.

Also, very short feeding sessions and preferring sidelying and lots of fussiness point to "forceful letdown" You can look at this article I will post below to see if that might fit. If it is, the best thing to do for it is to nurse frequently. Even if this fits, I would not suggest block feeding, which would reduce supply. Look at the other suggestions.

forceful letdown: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

not in English but this video shows many "laid back breastfeeding" positions, including two mommies NIP in at a cafe. I suggest watch the whole video to get the general idea but the two NIP mommies are at just past 1 minute. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SZ3zb5OYMA

The pictures in the "latch help" part of this pictorial also give the general idea. http://cwgenna.com/quickhelp.html

Thank you so much Meg, I will try 'laid back breastfeeding'. It's good to see it can work in public places.
    Thanks for info on percentiles. His curve is going up and up every week so that's good to know it's the baby's own curve I need to be looking at.
    I tried stretching out his feed from 2 to 3 hours. He went 2 hours 15 minutes and was very cranky so I put him on and he only fed for about 20 seconds and wouldn't go back on. Now we've reached the 3 hour mark, tried him there, he kicked and screamed and does not want to be fed. He is sitting happily in his bouncer now, over 3 hours from his last feed. Oh it's a real riddle! I don't want to take him up to bed as I am trying to get him back to feeding where I can feed in public for holidays next week! We are going on day trips from our apartment so lying down to feed won't be an option most days.

Stretching out the time between feeds is usually very counterproductive to all the things a mom wants to achieve. It makes the baby crankier and fussier- he doesn't understand why you're not feeing him when he asks. It can derail weight gain, because babies have tiny tummies and they don't necessarily eat more when they go longer between meals. If oversupply and fast letdowns are a problem, waiting longer to nurse can make them worse because the breast is more full in between feedings.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"