Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Direct nursing and pumping worsen laceration wound at nipple

Default Direct nursing and pumping worsen laceration wound at nipple

I am breastfeeding my 3rd bb at 10months old.i do not have this issue previously.i have a laceration wound at the base of nipple about 5mm long and 1mm depth.it started with smaller cut but whenever i direct feed or pump with electrical pump,the suction will pull the nipple and open up the wound again.i try to use nipple shield but my bb wont drink from it.if i hand express the milk,the amount is only half that what i can get from electric pump.and it leads to engorgement too.can anyone suggest anyway to let the wound healed while i still can direct nurse my bb?i try to use a plaster on it but it doesnt work.i think the cut is getting bigger and i m very worry of infection. Really appreaciate if anyone can help.

Default Re: Direct nursing and pumping worsen laceration wound at ni

Is the wound new? Did it result from a bite, or did it just spontaneously show up?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Direct nursing and pumping worsen laceration wound at ni

Yes...Is it a pump injury or a nursing injury? If you cannot nurse OR pump, you will need to keep hand expressing as much as you can. You could also try pumping at a VERY low setting and lubing the flange up with olive oil. Also make sure your pump is fitting you correctly.

Is the cut at the top, bottom, or side of your nipple? Can you position baby so that he is "on" at a different angle? I had a bad injury due to a bite on the underside of my nipple. I kind of lay on my back and brought baby to the breast from over my shoulder so she could nurse basically upside down, with her upper lip on the injury rather than the moving/working tongue/lower jaw. Nursing went from unbearable to almost painless while my breast healed.
    To ward off infection and speed healing, wash with a mild soap a couple times a day and/or put a scant amount of OTC antibiotic ointment on the injury.
    http://cwgenna.com/nhygiene.html