Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I did it!!!

Default I did it!!!

I did it. I nursed (partially) for a year.

My goal was 6 months, then, by the time LO was a few weeks old, we were having so many problems that I cut that back to three months. Then we reached three months, and I thought "why not go for six?". Then we reached six. Then we reached eight. Then we reached ten, and, sadly, my Grandmother passed away, so I had to leave the country for her funeral, without LO. I came back to a baby who wasn't interested in nursing. So I stopped and evaluated. I thought, "I could just call it quits now. I mean she's basically self-weaned, and she is ten months". But then I thought, "no; I have come so far; I will try to make it a year?". So I got her interested in the boob again. She would only nurse a few times a week, no matter how hard I tried, but she's thriving and she's happy and smiley and intelligent and that was enough for me.

I. DID. IT.

To those of you who are struggling, I don't want to say "if I can do it, trust me, you can". I heard that early on, and everyone who said it was trying to be supportive; but I, in my PPD state, took it as "these women could do it, why can't I? I am a failure". Instead I will say, you are not a failure. You are not a failure if you nurse for a few months; a few weeks; a few days; even a few minutes. You are not a failure if you cannot nurse. With that in mind, if you want to see my journey, THIS was me:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...help-me-*long*
    and then this was me:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ing-big-babies
    and then this was me:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...urse-in-motion
    and then this was me:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...f-some-support
    and then THIS was me:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?114527-aaaaaaghhh!

In short, in the first few weeks of LO's life, we went through nipple pain, nursing strikes, low supply, NO emotional support, PPD, and thrush. We would get over one problem, then another would arise. LO even went through this phase when she would only nurse in motion. When LO was eight weeks old a speech therapist who was helping us with our breastfeeding issues said she'd never seen someone like me; that we had exhausted everything she and her supervisor knew. I had lactation consultants on speed dial, who were also stumped. One night I talked on the phone with Meg (yes, as in our Meg, here on these forums) for over an hour, and we emailed each other frequently. But the problems didn't just stop after the first few weeks: we would get over one big hurdle, then have another, for months and months. Eventually, finally, it just 'clicked'. I was so emotionally and physically drained that I could not nurse exclusively even after it 'clicked', but I nursed, partially, right up until LO turned one last Friday.

I do have a tip for any ladies out there who are having inexplicable nipple pain during nursing: treat yourself for thrush, even if you don't have symptoms. The pain I was having was mid-boggling, but I had absolutely no symptoms of thrush. Someone on these forums suggested that it could be thrush, even with no symptoms, and advised I use Grapefruit Seed Extract (I'm hoping said lovely lady will pop up in the comments, because I don't remember how to use it now). It worked. It's almost funny, really: all those professionals I saw, all that money we shelled out in co-pays; and one stranger comes along with some free advice that solves it all.

And if you're like me, and you have problem after problem and feel like giving up, remember that the La Leche League is here. I am here. But the LLL is just absolutely wonderful.

Thank you, ladies. I couldn't have done it without you.

Default Re: I did it!!!

My hats off to you acover! I think I have told you before that yours was probably the most difficult situation I had ever come across, not just the baffling breastfeeding issues but all the life issues you were facing as well that would be super challenging for any new mom…

Thanks for the tip about Grapefruit Seed Extract I will remember your experience for other moms...

Congratulations on making it a year! My daughter also just turned one year old this week.

Congrats for making it through everything!

I remember reading your posts when I first joined the forums, when I was having such a hard time, and thinking that you had it so much worse than I did! Your perseverance is a source of inspiration, and I hope that other struggling mamas reading this may draw strength from the knowledge that it can be done!

Well done, mama! I also remember your posts, and I am so impressed that you made it through!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

awesome! i don't think it was me who suggested it to you, but i totally agree about treating for thrush (after i had it for 2 months unknowingly). it's cheap and easy with little risk and immediate improvement if that's what it is. here is the protocol i used (dr newman's):
    http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

That's wonderful acover! Yup, differently remember your posts as well, and it is SO AMAZING that you are writing about reaching a year of nursing! Thanks for sharing your story.

This is SO great. Congratulations!

Thank you all for your kind words