Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Water?

Question Water?

Hi Ladies,

My son is almost 13 months old now and doesn't really drink any water (or anything other than breastmilk from the breast). I've tried giving him a sippy cup and regular open plastic cup and he thinks they make wonderful projectiles. He used to play with a cup in the bath and sometimes try drinking water from it, but he hasn't cared for it lately and closes his mouth if I try to hold the cup up to his mouth. (This doesn't surprise me because he's more willing to self-feed than to be assisted with it.) Is it time for him to be drinking water? His solid intake varies a bit, but he's easily taking most of his nutrition from breastmilk still. Should I get a different kind of sippy cup, like one with a straw? I've heard that some people like the zoli cup.

How many wet diapers should he be making at this point?
    DS born 7/03/2012 Posterior tongue tie and upper lip tie lasered at 5 1/2 months. Nursing is going great now!

Default Re: Water?

Can't answer the question about wet diapers, but my LO had no water or any liquid other than breastmilk from the breast (and occasional bathwater) at that age. We didn't give her water really, and that was fine, she just nursed. She started drinking water a bit more when her dad was looking after her during the day, around 16 months, but there have been weeks even recently (20 mo) that she hardly had any liquid other than nursing. She is healthy and 90th percentile on growth charts, and is currently very enthusiastic about drinking water from a regular cup. I don't think you need a special cup unless you are really worried about spills in the short-term. In a couple months your child will be able to drink from a normal cup on his own with few spills.

Default Re: Water?

Oh, that's good to know!

Yesterday I was able to get him to drink a few sips of water from a cup that I was holding and I'm feeling satisfied now that I know that he *can* drink water from a cup, just in case I feel like he needs it. He also seemed to think it was fun once he realized what I was doing. I guess he was just suspicious about what that cup was doing so close to his face. Now he knows...
    DS born 7/03/2012 Posterior tongue tie and upper lip tie lasered at 5 1/2 months. Nursing is going great now!