Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: another question about water

Default another question about water

Hello ladies! I hope I'm posting this in the right section and that I'm not repeating any old threads.
    Here's my problem: lately, the weather was quite warm here (I'm not complaining, we're loving it!), but we're about to leave on a vacation with our 10-month-old son and we risk to end up in an even warmer place (I think we should expect 35-40°C during daytime). Should I offer any water or will the breast milk suffice? If so, how much water do you think I should offer him and how often? Should I give him bottled water or should I give him boiled tap water (we're not leaving the European Union, so I think that the tap water should be safe everywhere we go)?
    I breastfeed the little one on demand (I'm at home with him so he has full access to the breasts)and he also has 1 or 2 solid meals a day (usually 1 meal consisting of meat/fish/egg yolk and some veggies and the other meal consisting of some fruit). I spoon-feed him the meat meal, for the rest, I'm doing a baby-led weaning approach. He loves solids and is usually a good eater. I sometimes give him some freshly squeezed fruit juice, but not every day.
    Ever since starting him on solids I got a few wet dippers a day and 1 poop dipper every day or every other day so I didn't worry a lot about giving him water - he only drank water once or twice.
    He looks well hydrated - wet mucosas, fair amount of drool - despite the warm weather we had lately.
    So, what do you ladies suggest I do? Give him water or continue like I did until now?
    Thank you for any thought on the matter!
    Isabela

Default Re: another question about water

Breastmilk does quench thirst and he would probably be absolutely fine with just BM, you might find he is nursing more often with the heat though, (I raised 3 exclusively breastfed babies in Australia with 35 - 42 degree temps) and that's a natural response for a baby. However, as he is not exclusively fed any more, and is taking solids, it wouldn't hurt if you chose to have water around for him to drink, if he is so inclined.
    Last edited by @llli*free2beme; August 1st, 2013 at 06:35 PM.
    Mum to 3 gorgeous sons - all breastfed

If I was at all unsure about the tap water I would just give breastmilk rather than spending money on bottled water....

Breastmilk should be quite sufficient. Don't be too surprised if your LO doesn't bother with solid food on your vacation- a lot of babies will nurse more, and eat less solids, when they're away from home and maybe feeling a little insecure and disrupted.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Breastmilk actually changes it's composition. So when the weather is warmer you get more foremilk for hydration. I wouldn't introduce water on the trip. But I would expect your child to drink more as we all do to stay hydrated in warmer weather.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks, everyone, this is very helpful! I'll just offer the breast more often and I'll try to keep myself well hydrated. It worked until now, so I don't think we'll have any real problem.
    And if my family makes any comment on how I let the little one die of thirst, I'll just let him drool on them!