Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lots of Gas

Default Lots of Gas

Hello-

So, I have posted in the forum a few times before. I am back with more questions!

My baby is three months old and growing very well. I have dealt with oversupply and forceful letdown issues. After working through this with many different strategies, I finally am feeling like my supply is regulating. I think four hour blocks finally helped (basically this worked out to about two feedings on each breast). My breasts feel soft most of the day- never full. And no more leaking. She also seems to be handling the flow much better. So, I went back to one feeding per breast or switching sides at each new feeding. I have rarely needed to use both breasts during one feeding- sometimes in the evening hours. The only time I feel somewhat full is in the morning as she recently started sleeping through the night (or most of the night). These morning feedings were still really hard for her because I was so full- especially the second morning feeding as I only use one breast per feeding and the other continues to fill until 8 or so. So, I started pumping after the first morning feeding. This seemed to really help and my supply has not seemed to spike back up which I was worried about.

All great and dandy except.... now she is struggling with gas pain in the evening hours. She has always been a very "gassy" baby in the sense that she has to burp a lot. She has grown accustom to eating fast, and I think this causes her to take in a lot of air when eating. However, she has never seemed to be in so much pain from gas at the other end and the gulping has gone down a ton since my supply has regulated a bit. I would say this has been going on for about a week (possibly as long as I went back to using one breast per feeding vs. one breast for two feedings). Her stools have been yellow or orange (although some could be argued slightly green. My question is- do you think even though my breasts feel soft and she seems to be emptying one side at a feeding that I could still have too much foremilk? Or would you attribute the gas to something else? I have racked my brain about my diet and can't really think of anything that could be causing gas. I do eat dairy. We also use gas drops. I have wondered if they end up causing more pain in the end. I think I am just nervous to go back to two feedings per breast as I don't want to slip into under supply issues!

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Default Re: Lots of Gas

A lot of babies have a fussy period in the evening, so I don't think I'd necessarily attribute this to gas. Have you tried popping her in a warm bath? It's very soothing, no matter what the root issue is, and if the problem is that the baby is struggling to get out a toot or a poop, the warm water can help the baby relax and "let things flow", so to speak. You might end up scrubbing the tub, but for me that was a small price to pay to avoid the evening fussathons!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Lots of Gas

Hello again mommal- I know evening can be a fussy time. Her issues are always worse in the evening. But, this screaming in pain thing is new for her. She wakes out of a dead sleep just screaming at the top of her lungs. A few reasons I believe it to be gas:
    * when we pick her up, she often will burp or fart and then calm down
    * in the morning, she has tons of farts - what I believe is causing her all the pain in the evening

We do give a warm bath before bed. Would you suggest putting her back in the tub after she has already been in bed for a while? The baths do calm her down. She just seemed really uneasy this afternoon too. Gave herself the hiccups so I gave her gripe water- have never really used before. The hiccups went away immediately and she calmed down and fell asleep. I wonder if that will help in the evening. We are also going to try and earlier bed time tonight.

I was just curious if you thought my supply could be the root cause of the gas... I thought breastfed babies didn't have as many gas issues... Maybe she is just destined to be a gassy baby