Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gaining to fast?

Question Gaining to fast?

Hi ladies, this question may be stupid but let me give u a little background. I had my little guy on 6/10, he weighed 6# 5oz on 6/12 he was 5#15 oz. on 6/19 he was 7#5 oz. on 7/15 he was 10# 4 oz and today he was 12#2oz! Is he gaining to fast? Am I over feeding him??

Default Re: Gaining to fast?

I am not an expert, but I had mine on 6/19 at 7.6. He was 11 lbs last week, and probably close to 12 now and they told me I've been overfeeding him a bit but they seem really pleased with his gain. It seems about parallel to your little guy's gain so possibly a little? But I don't get the impression it's harmful.

Are you exclusively feeding him at the breast, or using bottles too? If you're only feeding at the breast, don't worry about over feeding because baby can control how much he eats in a way he can't with bottles. It could mean you have a really high supply... My little guy gained 12oz a week at the beginning and was 10lbs at a month, because of my over active letdown and high supply. It wasn't a problem, except he would splutter and pull off sometimes from the strong flow--but he got nice and chubby quickly!

No, you cannot overfeed a breastfed baby, because you are not in charge of feeding him. He's in charge of feeding himself! A breastfed baby learns to identify his satiation cues and stop nursing when he is full. This is totally different from the way a baby eats from the bottle; bottlefed babies are routinely overfed because the adult is in charge of the feeding, and even the most sensitive bottle-feeding parent may tip the bottle up to get the baby to take food in faster, or may replace the bottle in the baby's mouth to encourage him to finish "the last little bit."

It's normal for breastfed babies to gain extremely rapidly in the first few weeks/months of life. As much as a pound a week is common! The baby's rate of weight gain will slow down as he gets into his second six months, and many breastfed babies start to drop percentiles as they become more mobile and devote increasing amounts of calories to action, rather than packing them on as fat. For example, my second kid gained a pound a week for the first month or two, going from around the 40th %ile at birth to the 100th %ile at 2 months. By 6 months she was down to the 80-85th %ile.

If you're worried that your baby is going to end up too fat to move, don't be! Just enjoy the chub while it lasts, because a lean toddler will emerge by the end of your baby's first year.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

As far as big weight gains go, then no, that's not overfeeding, just a wonderfully healthy bub.

I do however believe you can overfeed a breastfed baby, but it has to do with projectile vomiting immediately after feeds. My 3rd son used to do this, and I was forced to give him feeds that were small and often as his cues to stop feeding when he was full just were not working for the first couple of months, making sure his tummy filled up more slowly really helped him. I think I probably had oversupply, and a forceful letdown (again) lucky he didn't experience lactose overload like his older brother did.
    Mum to 3 gorgeous sons - all breastfed