Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Attempting to wean my almost 6 month old!! I need ideas!

Default Re: Attempting to wean my almost 6 month old!! I need ideas!

I don't know what you cut out of your diet but if you want to lose weight safely my suggestion would be to cut sugar in all forms except whole fruit. So regular sugar and any wheat, flour, gluten, grains, etc. Everyone I know who has done this has felt fantastic. There's a book that has a really fascinating up front section on how certain foods impact our bodies. It's called the Everything Paleolithic Diet Book. It's also a cookbook. One of my favorite cookbooks is Paleo Comfort Foods.

Regarding nursing, I find it to be an integral part of my weight maintenance program!

I hope you get to where you need to be on all fronts. And big thanks to your husband for his service to our country!
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

I was tested 4 months after when it is supposed to peak. It came back completely normal! So either I'm fine now, or it wasn't active then. i'm not really sure. When I first got pregnant I had them test and it was slightly off and balanced itself out by 15 or 16 weeks and has been fine since so I'll just have to continue to get tested!
    Keep asking to be tested. IMO, make sure you're tested at least once more by the end of the baby's first year.

I know it isn't horrible, but I am more of a "party" drinker I guess you could say. Not a glass of wine but shots and all that fun stuff! I don't have to though and I am ok with just a glass of wine or a lighter mixed drink!
    My skinny sister doesn't drink. Not because she dislikes alcohol, but because she'd "rather spend those calories on something yummy." Since weight loss is part of your goal... Maybe having alcohol be off-limits for now isn't such a bad thing?

That being said, one night of partying isn't going to wreck anything for your baby, provided you use pumped milk or formula during that interval.

I read this article that lactose intolerant mothers bodies' can produce something that goes into their milk because their own body has issues with it. I am not sure how true this is,!
    To my knowledge, this is untrue. When babies have problems with dairy, it's almost always an allergy to the proteins in cow's milk, not the sugar (i.e. lactose). Except in very rare medical conditions, lactose intolerance is a condition of later childhood or adulthood, not infancy. Babies are designed to digest lactose, and their production of lactase (the enzyme which breaks down lactose) is higher than at any time in the rest of their lives.

If a mom is lactose intolerant, that will not affect her baby's lactase production or her baby's ability to digest milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*stefani View Post
    As much as I love breastfeeding, I just don't want to all the time but she just isn't ready to give it up so we're still nursing at night and I can deal with that for now! I have changed our schedule up a bit to get the best for everyone and it's working out great! So for now I suppose I am good with everything!
    this is awesome! good for you!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*debbers View Post
    I don't know what you cut out of your diet but if you want to lose weight safely my suggestion would be to cut sugar in all forms except whole fruit. So regular sugar and any wheat, flour, gluten, grains, etc. Everyone I know who has done this has felt fantastic. There's a book that has a really fascinating up front section on how certain foods impact our bodies. It's called the Everything Paleolithic Diet Book. It's also a cookbook. One of my favorite cookbooks is Paleo Comfort Foods.

Regarding nursing, I find it to be an integral part of my weight maintenance program!

I hope you get to where you need to be on all fronts. And big thanks to your husband for his service to our country!
    Totally agree with this! Crash diets and crazy supplements have always made little sense to me. When I made the commitment to eat REAL food at the beginning of the summer, it was for my son's health, not for weight loss. But my husband and I have lost a combined 65 lbs! My only change in activity is more walking to the park with ds but no more than last summer when I lost the baby weight but couldn't get the 30 lbs off from getting married. Now, I'm not a paleo follower as I haven't cut out grains or dairy and we still eat fast food once or twice a week so this need not be a other your pantry immediately type thing. Tip toe into it. I agree with the focus on meats raised humanely on a diet they would naturally eat, fresh fruits and veggies cooked with good oils and herbs for flavor. I used to eat a huge dinner, then would be back raiding the kitchen twenty minutes later. I recognized my stomach as full but my body was sending signals that SOMETHING was missing! I thought it was just bad willpower causing me to be unable to turn down junk food, which of course led to unhappy thoughts about myself. Now that my food is nutrient dense, I'm not getting those insane cravings though. I feel satisfied at the end of meals and small snacks stay that way, small. My health has improved also. Small things like back pain, that I'd attributed to hauling around my toddler, have disappeared. It's been a life changing experience and is not something I'll ever go back on like many do after so long on a fad diet. I know it's a matter of time before I cut all processed and fast foods out because the change from healthy, energized body to sluggish, pained, cranky mama is SO dramatic.
    I feel like I'm preaching here but this seems like a crazy, secret in the world of weight loss pills, when it's really been the simplest thing for our family to do. If you're interested in reading more, I can point you to a few of my favorite real food bloggers to give you recipe ideas.