Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Attempting to wean my almost 6 month old!! I need ideas!

Default Re: Attempting to wean my almost 6 month old!! I need ideas!

Intimacy is a huge issue and a main reason... or even some babyless cuddling once in a while would be nice.
    Your DH is working from 6 am to 10 pm, right? That, right there, is going to really cut down on the amount of time you have to be intimate. But your mom lives with you- that, in a way, could be an opportunity. What if, on one of your DH's days off, your mom took the baby for a looooong walk? Or, what if one night a week your mom went to bed really early and the living room was reserved for you and our DH, so that you could have a "date night" at home? When my parents come to visit, I always feel like the common areas of my house aren't a place where my DH and I can be together as a couple. We're always adjusting our behavior to be considerate of my parents- no swearing, no groping, etc.!

If having baby in your bed is causing issues with being intimate, you might want to get a futon for the floor. That way you could have an alternate place to sleep with baby, or to- ahem- bounce around with your husband.

The supplement I want to take is a thermo supplement called oxy elite pro. A lot of vitamins but good portion of caffeine and thyroid hormones. http://oxyelitepro.com/ingredients.php these are the ingredients.
    The large dose of caffeine may be a problem for nursing, since caffeine is a diuretic and that could impact supply (it's also why this supplement would cause rapid fluid weight loss), and some babies react negatively to mom's caffeine intake. I looked at the ingredient list, and there are not actually any thyroid hormones in the supplement- just 2 ingredients which are claimed to increase T3 and T4. That's an important distinction- you absolutely do NOT want to take thyroid replacement hormones without a diagnosed thyroid condition.

I would contact the Infant Risk center and ask if the ingredients in the supplement can be combined with nursing.

I also have a thyroid problem they can't catch since the beginning of my pregnancy which doesn't help the weight issue. This supplement also has thyroid hormones in it.
    Why can't they (your docs?) catch a thyroid problem? What tests have they done? A TSH level? T3 and T4 levels? If so, what were the results? The range for subclinical hypothyroidism has been expanded in recent years, so if your TSH is >3 then you might want to see an endocrinologist. Are you taking anything right now, and if so, have your levels been checked during the postpartum period?

Nursing may not affect a new baby, I started my cycle last month, shoot I may even be wasting my time I could just get pregnant LOL.
    Once your cycle returns, nursing is not standing in the way of you getting pregnant again. But if you feel like there is a thryoid issue in the mix, I urge you not to try to conceive until you have it figured out! Thyroid issues can not only cause lowered fertility, but are also implicated in miscarriages and in developmental issues.

Another reason to wait to conceive is that it takes about a year for your body to recover from pregnancy and childbirth. Closely spaced pregnancies can be really hard on your body!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Your DH is working from 6 am to 10 pm, right? That, right there, is going to really cut down on the amount of time you have to be intimate. But your mom lives with you- that, in a way, could be an opportunity. What if, on one of your DH's days off, your mom took the baby for a looooong walk? Or, what if one night a week your mom went to bed really early and the living room was reserved for you and our DH, so that you could have a "date night" at home? When my parents come to visit, I always feel like the common areas of my house aren't a place where my DH and I can be together as a couple. We're always adjusting our behavior to be considerate of my parents- no swearing, no groping, etc.!

If having baby in your bed is causing issues with being intimate, you might want to get a futon for the floor. That way you could have an alternate place to sleep with baby, or to- ahem- bounce around with your husband.

The large dose of caffeine may be a problem for nursing, since caffeine is a diuretic and that could impact supply (it's also why this supplement would cause rapid fluid weight loss), and some babies react negatively to mom's caffeine intake. I looked at the ingredient list, and there are not actually any thyroid hormones in the supplement- just 2 ingredients which are claimed to increase T3 and T4. That's an important distinction- you absolutely do NOT want to take thyroid replacement hormones without a diagnosed thyroid condition.

I would contact the Infant Risk center and ask if the ingredients in the supplement can be combined with nursing.

Why can't they (your docs?) catch a thyroid problem? What tests have they done? A TSH level? T3 and T4 levels? If so, what were the results? The range for subclinical hypothyroidism has been expanded in recent years, so if your TSH is >3 then you might want to see an endocrinologist. Are you taking anything right now, and if so, have your levels been checked during the postpartum period?

Once your cycle returns, nursing is not standing in the way of you getting pregnant again. But if you feel like there is a thryoid issue in the mix, I urge you not to try to conceive until you have it figured out! Thyroid issues can not only cause lowered fertility, but are also implicated in miscarriages and in developmental issues.

Another reason to wait to conceive is that it takes about a year for your body to recover from pregnancy and childbirth. Closely spaced pregnancies can be really hard on your body!

Well, the thyroid wasn't tested until the beginning of my first pregnancy and balanced itself out during pregnancy. There were no issues present, I just knew I had symptoms of an issue a year prior and I was concerned!

I am just really at a loss on what to do, I mean honestly it wouldn't kill me to keep nursing, I could I just don't want to. I love my baby being attached to me except she was so attached I couldn't catch a 5 minute break. She absolutely would not take a bottle until about a week ago and I don't drink excessively, but I do enjoy a few drinks here and there and I absolutely do not want to drink while nursing I don't care what people say about pumping and dumping and waiting it out, it makes me feel extremely uncomfortable.

I have noticed her tummy has been less upset since she has been on formula. I also have tried reintroducing all of the things I cut out of my diet while she was having horrible gas and it was a nightmare!!! I can not have dairy what-so-ever.

I think for now, I may leave it like it is. I am mostly formula feeding her during the day, unless she absolutely refuses anything but breast, and putting her to bed at night by nursing.

The baby in the bed, btw doesn't cause issues with intimacy as far as my husband is concerned... he doesn't mind sharing one boob with the baby! LOL but I am not sure how I feel about taking it that far!
    ~*~Stefani~*~

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*stefani View Post
    The supplement I want to take is a thermo supplement called oxy elite pro. A lot of vitamins but good portion of caffeine and thyroid hormones. http://oxyelitepro.com/ingredients.php these are the ingredients.
    Something to be aware of—one of the ingredients listed there is 1,3-Dimethylamylamine (DMAA).

The FDA recently issued a warning about supplements containing DMAA, especially when it's combined with caffeine:

FDA is very concerned about DMAA and we advise consumers not to purchase or use any dietary supplement containing DMAA. This substance narrows blood vessels and arteries, which can elevate blood pressure, and may lead to cardiovascular problems such as shortness of breath, arrhythmias, tightening in the chest, and heart attack, as well as seizures and other neurological and psychological conditions. FDA has received 86 reports of adverse events involving products containing DMAA. These events include psychiatric disorders, heart problems, nervous system disorders, and death.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Well, the thyroid wasn't tested until the beginning of my first pregnancy and balanced itself out during pregnancy. There were no issues present, I just knew I had symptoms of an issue a year prior and I was concerned!
    Have you been tested since you gave birth? I'm a big believer in postpartum testing for thyroid issues, since about 5% of women experience postpartum thyroiditis and the percentage is probably higher if you just look at women who have a preexisting thyroid condition.

I am just really at a loss on what to do, I mean honestly it wouldn't kill me to keep nursing, I could I just don't want to. I love my baby being attached to me except she was so attached I couldn't catch a 5 minute break
    Would it help to know that this intense attachment is temporary? At 6 months, most babies are as attached as they are ever going to be- and it doesn't really matter how you feed them. They are designed to want mommy all the time, because they instinctively know that she is their ideal caregiver.

She absolutely would not take a bottle until about a week ago and I don't drink excessively, but I do enjoy a few drinks here and there and I absolutely do not want to drink while nursing I don't care what people say about pumping and dumping and waiting it out, it makes me feel extremely uncomfortable.
    So you don't want to drink AT ALL while nursing? If so, I think you need to give yourself permission to let go of that particular fear. I'm convinced that unreasonably high standards about what moms can eat, drink, and do during breastfeeding is one of the reasons that so few moms make it to the recommended 1 year minimum of nursing. No booze. No broccoli, dairy, chocolate, or coffee. No underwire bras. When a mom has to be purer than Mother Theresa, she's just going to end up resenting nursing as the source of all these huge limitations!

A drink while nursing, especially with an older baby, is not such a big deal. Just nurse first, then have the drink, and by the time you're no longer feeing tipsy, your milk is fine for the baby.

You mentioned not being able to have dairy- so what sort of formula are you using? Unless you're using soy-based formula, you're giving your baby more dairy protein via bottle than you possible could via nursing.

I think for now, I may leave it like it is. I am mostly formula feeding her during the day, unless she absolutely refuses anything but breast, and putting her to bed at night by nursing.
    I'm glad you've found a workable balance. Retaining those before-bed sessions is a great way to keep the nursing relationship going, and it's a fantastic mothering tool! Nursing can get you through so many of the first year's challenges- the teething, the difficulties with sleep, and when your LO starts walking, the skinned knees and bumps to the head.

The baby in the bed, btw doesn't cause issues with intimacy as far as my husband is concerned... he doesn't mind sharing one boob with the baby! LOL but I am not sure how I feel about taking it that far!
    A lot of nursing moms would tell you that while they're nursing, their breasts feel off-limits, sexually. It's just too weird for a lot of moms.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I didn't see anyone else address this, but you should never put cereal in a bottle. It's a choking hazard. So just for reference, this is not a safe trick to try to get a baby to sleep longer. It's really unsafe.

Way too lazy for formula

I hope this doesn't come across as mean or anything, I really just have your best interests in mind...but, why the hurry to get pregnant again so soon? It really doesn't seem smart to me. Logically, it makes little sense (unless perhaps your biological clock is ticking that fast...): you only have one bedroom as your mother takes up the second; your husband is hardly home; your own health is potentially at risk...It's great that you're open to having another baby, but why rush it? I personally would advise you to wait to TTC until your daughter is at least a year old. Take some time to take care of yourself, physically and mentally. Maybe you and your husband can start saving up some money so that he can afford to start working fewer hours, or you can get into a home of your own with a little more space...Also, as much work as having one child is, having two will be more than twice the work...this is something I didn't realize with my first when we decided to try for our second, and it was a major shock for me psychologically and I was not in a good place for a while after I had DS2, even though I had absolutely planned his conception and thought I was ready.

Just...be careful.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

most parents end up co-sleeping with their babies at some point or another ... and those who don't intend to often do it very unsafely. especially if you're bringing baby into your bed regularly, you might want to just make sure it's safe all the time, because you won't want to fuss with stuff when you're already frustrated with a baby who won't go to sleep. some good guidelines are here:
    http://cosleeping.nd.edu/safe-co-sleeping-guidelines/

and i agree with all the PPs: all of the frustrations you're feeling are TOTALLY NORMAL for any mom, no matter how baby is getting fed, and especially considering how much your husband is working, i think you're pretty calm!! if you want to wean, for your own reasons, that's fine - but so far it doesn't sound like any of the complaints you have are actually connected to nursing and/or would get better if you weaned.

Have you been tested since you gave birth? I'm a big believer in postpartum testing for thyroid issues, since about 5% of women experience postpartum thyroiditis and the percentage is probably higher if you just look at women who have a preexisting thyroid condition.

I was tested 4 months after when it is supposed to peak. It came back completely normal! So either I'm fine now, or it wasn't active then. i'm not really sure. When I first got pregnant I had them test and it was slightly off and balanced itself out by 15 or 16 weeks and has been fine since so I'll just have to continue to get tested!

Would it help to know that this intense attachment is temporary? At 6 months, most babies are as attached as they are ever going to be- and it doesn't really matter how you feed them. They are designed to want mommy all the time, because they instinctively know that she is their ideal caregiver.

This does help... I know she gets better and better everyday as she becomes more independent and grows! It's mostly timing I've been so depressed not getting hubby time and we're limited to 9:30-10:30 pm and that's when my little bug is at her worst each day! I have started putting her down for an 8:45 nap that ends up starting around 9:15 and ending at 9:45 to 10 pm which gives us a little bit of time then she wakes up and gets a little daddy time, then he's off to bed and we spend some time together until she's ready for bedtime!

So you don't want to drink AT ALL while nursing? If so, I think you need to give yourself permission to let go of that particular fear. I'm convinced that unreasonably high standards about what moms can eat, drink, and do during breastfeeding is one of the reasons that so few moms make it to the recommended 1 year minimum of nursing. No booze. No broccoli, dairy, chocolate, or coffee. No underwire bras. When a mom has to be purer than Mother Theresa, she's just going to end up resenting nursing as the source of all these huge limitations!

A drink while nursing, especially with an older baby, is not such a big deal. Just nurse first, then have the drink, and by the time you're no longer feeing tipsy, your milk is fine for the baby.

I know it isn't horrible, but I am more of a "party" drinker I guess you could say. Not a glass of wine but shots and all that fun stuff! I don't have to though and I am ok with just a glass of wine or a lighter mixed drink!

You mentioned not being able to have dairy- so what sort of formula are you using? Unless you're using soy-based formula, you're giving your baby more dairy protein via bottle than you possible could via nursing.

It's weird! I use Similac advanced now but she was having issues with it but it was bad with soy and the nutramigen (sp?) I came to the conclusion it was her digestive system and now reintroducing dairy may not be as bad but I ate scrambled eggs last weekend and she got really gassy again! I read this article that lactose intolerant mothers bodies' can produce something that goes into their milk because their own body has issues with it. I am not sure how true this is, but I believe it because she has been doing well with formula now! I was on goats milk as a baby and now that I'm an adult, the more I have dairy I think I build up a tolerance and it doesn't bother me as much but when I stop and have it occasionally it upsets me more!

I'm glad you've found a workable balance. Retaining those before-bed sessions is a great way to keep the nursing relationship going, and it's a fantastic mothering tool! Nursing can get you through so many of the first year's challenges- the teething, the difficulties with sleep, and when your LO starts walking, the skinned knees and bumps to the head.

A lot of nursing moms would tell you that while they're nursing, their breasts feel off-limits, sexually. It's just too weird for a lot of moms.[/QUOTE]

I don't feel weird about my breasts, it doesn't bother me... if he's ok with it I'm fine. He tries to touch the breast the baby isn't currently on! I'm pretty sure my husband finds nursing pretty sexy and I'm definitely ok with that!
    ~*~Stefani~*~

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    most parents end up co-sleeping with their babies at some point or another ... and those who don't intend to often do it very unsafely. especially if you're bringing baby into your bed regularly, you might want to just make sure it's safe all the time, because you won't want to fuss with stuff when you're already frustrated with a baby who won't go to sleep. some good guidelines are here:
    http://cosleeping.nd.edu/safe-co-sleeping-guidelines/

and i agree with all the PPs: all of the frustrations you're feeling are TOTALLY NORMAL for any mom, no matter how baby is getting fed, and especially considering how much your husband is working, i think you're pretty calm!! if you want to wean, for your own reasons, that's fine - but so far it doesn't sound like any of the complaints you have are actually connected to nursing and/or would get better if you weaned.
    We've been co-sleeping since she was born, and safely No worries there!
    ~*~Stefani~*~

I understand everything associated with getting pregnant again, I would just like them to be 1 1/2 to 2 years apart. I don't have to get pregnant now. Our living situation is just temporary, we do have money just waiting out the lease while we find the home we want! His job is a very good job and is just a ton of hours regardless though it will get a little better!

As much as I love breastfeeding, I just don't want to all the time but she just isn't ready to give it up so we're still nursing at night and I can deal with that for now! I have changed our schedule up a bit to get the best for everyone and it's working out great! So for now I suppose I am good with everything!
    ~*~Stefani~*~