Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Establishing supply for preemie twins in NICU

Default Re: Establishing supply for preemie twins in NICU

I know their wt gain is very rapid but I don't want to restrict them especially if getting bigger will help them get the hang of nursing sooner.
    Getting bigger certinaly is not going to hurt. But nursing at the breast is what will help a baby get the hang of nursing sooner. Babies learn to nurse by nursing. I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with rapid gain, or that anything should be restricted. I guess I am wondering if it might be fine for gain to be a little slower -more average-at this point if that is the price of babies being encouraged to nurse more.

Here's the plan from today - cutting back pumping to 12x/day and see if I maintain my supply while taking the More Milk Special Blend. Nursing twice a day at least. Bigger twin took 6 ccs and my little guy took 16 ccs. We are also trying a nipple shield for my bigger guy since he has a hard time holding on to the nipple. She wants me to maintain my supply and hopes that they will be the ones to tell it to increase when we get them on the breast more. She said right now they need to be sleeping a lot and essentially gestating. They are both still so sleepy but they are waking to nurse/bottle feed and requesting more and she said that was good. Right now I'm making about 31 oz. I told DH to slow down their bottle feedings and maybe I can nurse them when they just want more and more because sometimes they take a ridiculous amount, IMO, for what I am making, especially my bigger guy. He was up 5 oz from Monday morning.

Oh and about the nipple pain. I'm trying a different size shield and also she said to turn the pump off for about 2 min because some of that can be from blood restriction to the nipple while pumping. Also trying not to turn the suction up so much. I'm using a Medela Symphony.

I have another appt next Wed.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Yes 5 ounces is a lot for one feed at this age-or any age, actually! Does your husband have this info? http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

I think nursing after bottles is a good plan! Let me know if you need nipple sheild tips.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Yes 5 ounces is a lot for one feed at this age-or any age, actually! Does your husband have this info? http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

I think nursing after bottles is a good plan! Let me know if you need nipple sheild tips.
    He isn't drinking 5 oz, he gained 5 oz. He drinks 2 oz/session and sometimes asks for more and we'll give him more then. I'll give my husband that info but we did talk about more burping and rest breaks to stretch out a bottle feeding session.

Oh OK! ha ha. I was like, what a little chomper! so the very good gain continues-very good!

Yeah that would be a recipe for massive spit up!

I am fairly discouraged. I weighed them before/after feeding at my breastfeeding support center. My big guy got 2 ccs and little one got 6 ccs, in spite of having some good swallows and making it sound like (especially little one) had a decent session. They are both latching, at least. Their gain continues to be good, over an oz/day for little one and just under a lb the last week for my bigger boy. They're 38 weeks now and I was hoping soon they'd get good at milk transfer. I nursed them both 4x yesterday and thought they did well but they probably didn't based on what I saw today. I am pumping 12x/day now and a power pump session in the mornings. Taking More Milk Special Blend as directed on the bottle. I don't know what else to do. I see another LC on Wednesday. My bigger guy did slow his wt gain the last 3 days and just gained 3 oz across 3 days. I don't know if that's normal to slow down weight gain like that when he was gaining 2 oz/day but hopefully it's still OK. I'm still slightly supplementing with my sister's milk but when that runs out if my supply hasn't picked up I am guessing we'll have to find formula. I hate to do that too but they do get hungry and request to nurse more and I don't want to deprive them.

how did today go?

They nursed 2 and 3 times but really I can't say anything has changed. I have increased my supply using power pumping (I think that's what did it, that and using lower/more comfortable suction I think) so I'm happy I'm keeping up with them right now. I'm so ready to meet with my IBCLC but it's not till Wed. They'll be 39 weeks Tues. Hard to believe their due date is almost here. Their one month check up is on their due date, which is kind of weird. I'm still processing all we went through with the NICU which was really difficult, and also haven't completely made peace with their prematurity even though I was doing everything I could to keep them in as long as possible.

Hi. I know it's hard, but focus on the good rather than that they came early. My girls were born at 34w 4d and I was OBSESSED at getting to 35 weeks (I'm small and one of my babies wasn't growing as much as we wanted so I was scheduled to have a c-section right at 35 weeks) and for a few days I was so upset I didn't make it and that was the reason one was in the NICU. It's not true. You did everything for them. Anything past 32 weeks is AWESOME. They are home and healthy and will grow. And the breastfeeding will get better. Remember, it's hard for them too! Just try to be happy with having them home with you. I know you want them to breastfeed and have that bond, but as long as they are eating and growing - THAT is so important for preemies.