Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Establishing supply for preemie twins in NICU

Default Re: Establishing supply for preemie twins in NICU

Wow. I learn at least one new thing every day on here. Never heard of the car seat test before -and it's not even 9 am here yet!

Super Yay for babies at home!

Thank you. I had just heard about car seat tests from other NICU moms in the past but I had no idea it would be hard to pass.

I met with my IBCLC yesterday. I am pumping when they wake up to eat during the night and every hour during the day just today and tomorrow to boost my supply. I am not nursing them as many times a day now because they are so poor at milk removal and it wears them out. She explained that they'd typically be inside of me now and not stressed about eating and it won't set us back with breastfeeding to not offer more than a couple times a day for now. Plus with all the pumping I feel badly even offering them a breast since I'm keeping myself so empty. I meet with her again Wed. Both boys are still gaining well and they'll get weighed again Monday at their first outpatient doctor appt (our family physician for their newborn check up).
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

such great news!!! twins sleeping together

so how many times a day do you pump? does your dh bottle feed when you pump? just never knew how it worked with twins so this is very interesting to me.

CONGRATULATIONS ON BRINGING HOME THE TWINS!!!

The car seat test is so nerve wracking!! My NICU baby slept through hers entirely - and passed one the first try - but it's so tough to be thisclose to going home and then the baby doesn't pass. I had some of the same issues you did with one of my girls. She would get so tired breastfeeding and we really needed her to gain weight, so I pumped for her and breastfed my other little girl. I didn't pump every hour, I did it on their feeding schedule (Yes, we did a schedule with twins and yes, we needed to do it!) and that helped get my supply up. To be honest, my little NICU baby still doesn't really love breastfeeding. She got used to the bottle and she still gets tired breastfeeding so she doesn't do it that often. It's a bummer but to see her chubby cheeks and how healthy she is from my pumped milk, I just know it's the right decision, at least for us.

The best thing ever was putting my little girls together in the crib. It still makes me smile every day and they are four months old and still sleeping together.

Twins are so much fun. Enjoy!!!!

I think scheduling twins is more necessary than I had originally thought! I am just making sure they eat at least every 3 hrs but let them wake me up at night. I do feed the more awake one first and then the other one. DH can give one a bottle and usually I give the other one a bottle then I pump and one of us washes pump parts and bottles.

Saturday I pumped 15x Sunday 16x. I went from 28 oz Thurs to 30.5 Sat and Sunday but I need to keep making more. My bigger baby gained 14 oz in the last week and my smaller one 10 oz. They're pooping and peeing plenty and had their newborn well child check this morning. Right now they sleep next to each other on my bed (DH sleeps in a separate bed right now), on their backs. Pumping this much is really time consuming but if it's what I need to do to tell my body I have two growing boys than that's what I need to do.

If you don't mind, I would like to make a suggestion...
    Don't wash the pump parts and bottles overnight. If you have enough pump parts, leave one set clean and one set dirty and that way you can just go to sleep. I get up every night at 3:30am (ok, I guess every morning) to pump and leave the pump parts until I wake up again at 7am. Seriously, just go back to bed!!! You need sleep!

And I know pumping is SOOO time consuming, but SOOO worth it for the little ones. One of my girls still doesn't really like being breastfed but I am thrilled she is on all breast milk. Not exactly what I wanted, but I'm just glad she's not on formula. Small victories.

Take it easy. Rest. leave the dishes in the sink. ENJOY the babies. It really does go SO fast. Mine are 4 months and I can't even believe it!!

I'm pumping a couple of times during the night, though, so I don't know how I can leave them.

I know they grow up so fast! I have a 4 yr old and had to pump a ton for her and while there are always household chores babies don't stay babies very long. I didn't know we'd be able to have more living children after having miscarriages when DD was 2 and it was very, very hard. I am so thankful to have these little guys healthy and living in our home.

I'm pumping a couple of times during the night, though, so I don't know how I can leave them.
    Put the pump parts in a ziplock or other sterile storage container and pop in fridge between pumping.

My bigger baby gained 14 oz in the last week and my smaller one 10 oz.
    That is amazing gain-isn't it? Normal gain for a heatlhy term baby AFTER 2 weeks of age would be 5-7 ounces per week. Before that, it is typically less.

OK, I wondered about sticking them in the fridge or if that would be uncomfortable to pump with cold parts.

Yeah they're growing like weeds! They're 38 weeks gestation tomorrow and my bigger baby is an inch taller than he was at birth and my smaller baby is a half inch taller/longer. I am eager for them to get big enough and strong enough to just be able to nurse.

I am going to start the more milk special blend this week to see if helps, on the suggestion of my IBCLC. I took it with my daughter.

If I put the pump parts in the fridge how often would I have to wash them?