Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Establishing supply for preemie twins in NICU

Default Re: Establishing supply for preemie twins in NICU

Thank you! Their weights today were better up 46g and 40g. They drank 605 ccs in pumped milk and I pumped 632 ccs.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

rock on!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks Auderey! yesterday wasn't quite as great, they were both a little sleepier but gained 8g and 18g and I stayed ahead. I can't wait to get them home and nurse them more and pump less.

Congratulations on the twins! I had twin girls born at 34w 4d in April and one spent 20 days in the NICU (feeder and grower) and I know how hard it is to commute back and forth, nurse, pump and everything else. What I can tell you is that once my milk came in I noticed that my pumping output would increase every day. I judged it on my 3:30am pumping session and the first time I did it, I got something like 2 ounces and the next night 3 and on and on. Now I can get up to 10-12 total in just that one session. It just takes time. I also was super scared my NICU baby would run out of milk, but again, over time as I made more and nursed the baby who was at home, I started going up in production. Don't stress about it. Your body will make the milk it needs for the twins. Just try to rest some (you need it!), stay hydrated and focus on the good. The babies will be home before you know it!!!

Thank you. I have been about an ounce short yesterday and today and it makes me nervous that they'll run out of milk. I pumped 24 oz yesterday and am nursing them both 5x/day.

They have their car seat test tomorrow repeated, they failed it Monday. If they pass it they can come home if not we'll have even longer to wait. I'm just so exhausted and ready for our family to be together at home.

congrats on the babies!! you are doing so much and you are doing awesome!!

what is the car seat test?

Thank you!

They monitor them for 2.5 hrs in their car seat and see what their breathing does while sitting in it. It's harder for them than just lying in their cribs. They both have problems with their breathing related to being premature. They've been on room air since birth but still have periodic breathing and sometimes their oxygen saturation levels drop during that.

ok, so i get wanting to make sure their breathing is good. but OMG 2.5 HOURS in a car seat?? i had no idea! what is the rationale behind that?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Some babies don't do as well sitting upright and there have been babies who have been OK and then dead by the time they reach their destination so now all preemies need to be tested on car seat tolerance.

They both passed and we are home, thank God! Now I'm nursing them not on a 3 hr schedule and it's great. They can also sleep together which is awesome since they couldn't in the hospital.

I see my IBCLC tomorrow and am renting a scale. They are both above their birth wt and have been gaining really well this week.

awesome news that you are home!!!!
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones