Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: About to give up

Default About to give up

Can someone please give me some advice/encouragement?

My ds is 6 months old and I have been bf all along. I have had milk supply issues from the very beginning, so I have had no choice but to supplement with formula. Within the last month I don't even come close to making enough milk to satisfy him for even a single feeding. I have a high stress job and can usually only pump once during work, if that. I'm also going through a divorce, so there's that added stress. I don't know if it is relevant, but I have lost about 15 lbs in the last month. I am trying to eat well, so I don't know if the weight loss is do to the stress or because of BF. I am taking fenugreek and nursing as often as I can, but I just can't seem to increase my supply.

Is there anything else that I can do? I love bf and don't want to stop, but I don't know what else to do.

Default Re: About to give up

to you! It sounds like things are pretty difficult for you right now! You are amazing for being so commited to your LO. Have you tried eating oatmeal? You can also add more "healthy fats" to your diet, avocado, almonds (not salted), etc. Are you below your suggested weight?? I would love to lose 15 libs! But yes that is rather drastic in one month! I don't have much else to offer...just wanted to offer encouragement.

from me too. How do you know you're not making enough milk? How many diapers are you changing? Pumping is not a good indicator of how much milk you make. I hope things get better for you soon.

It does sound like you have an awful lot going on...I admire you for your commitment! I agree with eating oatmeal. It's a big help. Lots of water, as much rest as you can manage. I know that hospital grade pumps are best for increasing supply, but that might be a bit much at work. I think spending plenty of snuggle time with your babe is going be a big help to both of you.
    I hope things settle as much as possible as soon as possible for you.