Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Holy Hannah! Sore nipples!!

Default Holy Hannah! Sore nipples!!

Hi mammas! This isn't my first rodeo I have a ds who is now 4 that I nursed for 15 months and my current dd is 13 months and still going strong. Problem is, my nipples are sooooo sore as if I'm just now learning to nurse or something? I can visually see a raw spot on each nipple where the razor sharp pain is. Everytime she latches on I seriously want to cry. I went to the dr for mastitis where I am in the middle of my 7 day cycle of antibiotics. The mastitis is gone but man! My nipples are almost worse than the mastitis!! I'm at a loss, I don't know what to do? Has anyone experienced this?
    Mommy to Liam born 10/13/2008
    Breastfeeding since Day 1

Breastfed ds for 15 months and cherished every minute of it!!

We love and

Default Re: Holy Hannah! Sore nipples!!

Could it be thrush? I've never even had thrush before? How would I know if its thrush?

My first thought was thrush as well. I've never experienced it myself, so I'm not totally sure of the exact symptoms, white spots in bubs mouth sometimes I believe...
    Mum to 3 gorgeous sons - all breastfed

Thrush is a common cause of pain, when it crops up after months of trouble-free nursing. And the antibiotics that you're taking make thrush even more likely, since they tend to throw off the body's normal balance of microorganisms.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Still no relief after a 2nd visit to my
    OBGYN. I can see two small open cuts/wounds on my nipples where it looks like she bit me but I just don't think they are bites.... So frustrating. Makes me dread nursing. Something I love to do!

Slit-like cracks are characteristic of thrush or bacterial infection. Have you had a course of antifungal medication?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi Mama,
    I have no advice for you. I just wanted to lend support. My daughter is 7 months old and every once in a while I have major nipple issues. I've never had thrush (if I did, I didn't know it) and sometimes teething, a blocked duct etc. will make her pull and tug and cause tremendous pain/damage. If you don't think it's thrush, that Lansinoh nipple cream works well and helps heal them faster (you probably already know that). I can deal with a lot of different kinds of pain but that nipple pain can just be over the top sometimes. Good luck!
    First time momma to Ansley Catherine 12/22/12