Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eats a lot, doesn't sleep. Sleeps a lot, doesn't eat.

Question Eats a lot, doesn't sleep. Sleeps a lot, doesn't eat.

I'm mixed feeding because I'm SAH and never pumped a freezer stash , and since I have to rebuild my severely tanked milk supply I'm resorting to formula on an SNS.

My concern lay in the fact that my 8 week old is sleeping -way- less when she eats a lot of formula... I thought it was because of the bottle, but even when she gets formula through the SNS she can't seem to sleep... and if I comfort nurse without the SNS it seems like there's not enough for her (she cries and cries). So, with a lot of formula the past two days she's only slept maybe 8-10 hours a day total. She will go without sleep if she doesn't get the breast... she's not one for a pacifier.

Today I've let her sleep, and she's sleeping sleeping and not eating much at all. I was wondering: since she's sleep deprived, what should come first? Should I still wake her every two hours? For the sake of my supply should I wake her? Should I let her sleep and pump?

Also, if she's nursing and I feel a tug deep inside my breast that's unresolved (it feels like an itch that needs to get scratched but keeps getting missed, I have no other analogy) does that mean that there's a plugged duct in my breast? This feeling is happening frequently, and yesterday I had to resolve a plugged pore in the same breast around the same area.
    - June 1, 2013

Default Re: Eats a lot, doesn't sleep. Sleeps a lot, doesn't eat.

Do you think it is due to baby having a reaction to the formula, or something else?

How are you determining how much formula baby needs?

Personally, I would wake my babies when I needed them to nurse (if I was feelling full, for example) They always went right back to sleep or barely woke at all.

If you go long periods without getting milk out, that is going to further hurt your production. So you need to either pump or nurse.

Does baby need to wake to nurse?

Also, if she's nursing and I feel a tug deep inside my breast that's unresolved (it feels like an itch that needs to get scratched but keeps getting missed, I have no other analogy) does that mean that there's a plugged duct in my breast? This feeling is happening frequently, and yesterday I had to resolve a plugged pore in the same breast around the same area.
    Sorry I don;t know-a plug makes sense. It's only while baby nurses?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Do you think it is due to baby having a reaction to the formula, or something else?

How are you determining how much formula baby needs?

Does baby need to wake to nurse?
    I think you may be right. Every time she gets the formula her breathing gets congested.

I was determining it by the feel of my breasts (completely flaccid, no pockets), and her behavior at the breast (I learned the hard way that those are terrible indicators and have suffered with undrained breasts once a day the past two days). So when she would fuss a lot I would give her the SNS. She learned that the tube was giving her food and not me because I didn't tape it...

She isn't a dreamfeeder, unfortunately...

Sorry I don't know-a plug makes sense. It's only while baby nurses?
    Yes, only while nursing.
    - June 1, 2013