Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping diminish supply?

Default Pumping diminish supply?

So here is the deal. I am EBF, but my mother had a major surgery today and I had to leave my 7 week old with a relative for the day so I could be with her. I have medical power of attorney, so I am the one who had to be there. Anyway, needless to say, I've spent a lot of time pumping today (and, sadly enough, dumping it since I lack refrigeration and I've been here 12 hours so far). Obviously I only nursed a couple times today as well. So, here is my question. Is my supply going to be ruined by this day? lol

I am so worried that the supply I have will go away overnight because I wasn't nursing. I honestly don't know how often I pumped today, but not as often as I would nurse. I know that for sure.

If I hyper nurse tomorrow will I be ok?

Am I being needlessly paranoid? lol

Thank you! =]

Default Re: Pumping diminish supply?

I can't imagine your supply will be irreparably damaged by one day! It's all supply and demand, when your bub is nursing once more, things will get back to normal quite quickly if your supply has dropped at all. I really wouldn't worry overly much.

Default Re: Pumping diminish supply?

One day shouldn't wreck things. Get back on track with nursing ASAP, and obviously nurse on demand, and everything should be fine. If it's not, come back and post about it and we'll help you troubleshoot!

Hope things go well for your mom. I know how stressful it is when a parent undergoes surgery.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"