Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: I need sleep

Default Re: I need sleep

I agree with zaynethepain that you should seek therapy if you have not done so already. In the past, when I suffered from anxiety and depression, the first place my doctor sent me was to get some meds. I think medication is the right course for some people, but there was no other advice or help -- they just pushed medication on me and sent me on my un-merry way. Evidence shows that medication coupled with behavioral therapy is much more effective than just medication. That makes sense -- the medication can help you get your thoughts in line, but talking about fears and concerns and worries will help understand them better. In your case, if taking the medication is causing you INCREASED worry about the risk to your child, then it would be a very important route, I'd say. I feel like SIDS is a very legitimate cause for anxiety -- it is drilled into you, and you're basically told "Do all these things to prevent SIDS or it's your fault if something happens -- although no one knows the cause and you can't prevent it." How could anyone not have anxiety about that?! It to me, personally, didn't make sense to have LO in another room where I couldn't see her or help her immediately. But I would say you should have some quiet time to contact your mommy instincts, and try to find what to feels like the best option for you and your LO.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

If the pediatrician is haranguing you about co-sleeping, and ignoring your actual concerns, then switching pediatricians isn't a bad idea. You can also lie. "Yes, baby has his own crib" can be the answer to "Where does baby sleep?" You don't need to mention that the baby actually sleeps with you, and the crib is used for laundry storage...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, I learned with my first child that it's better not to mention co-sleeping at the ped unless you want to hear how unsafe it is. I recently read that in Milwaukee (where they had a very aggressive anti-co-sleeping campaign) that 100% of the deaths attributed to co-sleeping happened to formula fed babies.

Zoloft is the first line, preferred SSRI for nursing and pregnant moms. Zoloft has an extremely low transfer into milk--at some doses, studies couldn't even detect it. I did discuss this medication with InfantRisk, as I opted to try it early on, and really felt like it was an okay thing to do and keep nursing.

Now, as a side note, I stopped taking the Zoloft almost immediately because I had a very bad reaction to the drug MYSELF. Baby was totally fine. I have been on SSRIs in the past and been fine, but not this time. I mention this only because I also really agree with filmmommy's and zaynethepain's suggestion to also seek out cognitive therapy. I was PPA/OCD in the immediate postpartum, and truly, the cognitive exercises I was provided in therapy worked wonders, and were the only line of treatment available to me. I can't recommend it enough!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sonogirl View Post
    Zoloft is the first line, preferred SSRI for nursing and pregnant moms. Zoloft has an extremely low transfer into milk--at some doses, studies couldn't even detect it.
    That about covers what it says in Medications and Mothers' Milk. But in more medical/scientific language:

These studies generally confirm that the transfer of sertraline and its metabolite to the infant is minimal, and that attaining clinically relevant plasma levels in infants is remote at maternal doses less than 150 mg/day.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thanks ladies. You made me feel better about taking the Zoloft.

I live on the backdoor of one of the best hospitals in the country and because of that I tend to get some pretty conventional doctors. I swear they train all of them to toe the company line because every doctor I've seen through them has been pretty attachment parenting unfriendly- and I should have realized this when I, in my sleep addled first week, admitted he's sleeping with me, and the doctor put it in the file or something because it keeps being brought back up.

My INSTINCT says not to put the baby down by himself. He was inside me for 9 months. Why would I make him sleep on his own, in some cold room where I can't monitor him? And for that matter if the unthinkable were to happen and he was to have a "last sleep" I would want it to be in the bosom of his family, not alone. But you know, the fact that I'm even having thoughts like that scares me. I can't go anywhere online without being reminded that SIDS is an actual thing. There's so much fearmongering in the untied states. When we lived in Portugal (up till I was 3 months pregnant so this is fresh in my mind) there was nothing like this. They don't talk about SIDS and they often sleep an entire family in a small house, where adults smoke and siblings sleep together. And yet it doesn't seem to be a THING there.

I can't shake this feeling that as my last child, my son is only on loan. It seems as if he's too wonderful to be real. I've gotten so OCD over reading all the facts about this devastating thing that takes babies away in the night that I'm afraid to fully enjoy him. That I'm reading about it while he sleeps in my arms. That it's all I talk about to my husband. It's crazy.

I'd really like to see something published to make parents feel BETTER about their choices, not cut us down from the second we conceive. You know?

I come from a family of therapists and have worked in and around the field- as well as having been in and out of therapy most of my life. Finding a therapist that will work for me is difficult, but I will definitely start looking. I have benefited from CBT/DBT in the past and understand the basic principals- I'm just not very good at keeping up with it when I'm in a spiral like this.

In the meantime we need to figure out how to fill the gap between the crib and the bed so he can rest in there sometimes!
    Last edited by @llli*apifera; August 9th, 2013 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*apifera View Post
    I'd really like to see something published to make parents feel BETTER about their choices, not cut us down from the second we conceive. You know?
    Amen!

The American Academy of Pediatrics is on a huge and ultimately counterproductive tear about co-sleeping. Let me give you an example: there was a group of midwives here in PA who wanted to publish a guide to safe co-sleeping, with guidance about safe surfaces, drug/alcohol/tobacco use, bedding, the centrality of breastfeeding, etc. They wanted to get the local pediatricians to contribute- but they wouldn't. From their perspective, there is no such thing as safe co-sleeping and therefore giving people guidance about how to make co-sleeping safer was something they just couldn't sign on to. The kicker? Many of the people who the guide was supposed to target were ALREADY co-sleeping. They just weren't necessarily aware about how to do so with greater safety. That was the whole point of the guide!

It's kind of like people saying "STDS are bad, and any sexual contact carries the risk of STDS, therefore let's embrace abstinence-only education instead of teaching people about safe and safer sex." Which would be great, except that it DOESN'T WORK. You have to work with people, listen to what works for them, instead of dictating to them from on high. You cannot change all behaviors- just channel them.

Don't let the fear-mongering get to you.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Just one last question re Zoloft effects for those of you who took it or other SSRIs... did you feel it made you sleep heavier/become less aware of your little one?

Mommal: I will try not to... honestly I don't think I have a choice. I have made my decision and I need to stand by it.

I personally never slept heavier on an SSRI in the past. I was only on Zoloft for four days with my newborn, though--I couldn't say for certain how it might've been with my baby in the picture. But everyone is different--maybe you can ask your husband to stay awake and watch how you and baby are sleeping together to see how it is going for an hour or so if you are concerned there might be a change.

Just wanted to update a little. Got the results of my thyroid test... I AM hyper thyroid right now. Which would explain a whole heck of a lot! Hopefully the zoloft + going down on my levothyroxine will help. Hopefully none of this affects my supply.

Thanks so much ladies. You kept me sane!