Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I need sleep

Default Re: I need sleep

We also have a memory foam mattress, and I didn't feel that it caused co-sleeping issues, or was unsafe. But it's a personal choice... Can you get a futon for the floor? That way you could get baby to sleep on the floor, go back to the grown-up bed for cuddle time with your husband, and maybe transition back to the futon when baby wakes.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

That's feasible. Baby is waking up multiple times an hour right now though so it'd have to be an option for later. If I am not touching him, heck even if I AM touching him, he catnaps for 15 minute stretches.

But that is definitely an option. I also thought about just putting two mattresses on the floor together at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*apifera View Post
    Mercystreet: I actually suggested this to my husband last night. He was all for it till he saw that there would be a gap that needed filled in the back of the crib... he feels that it would be unsafe and that there would never be a way to quite get it shored up safely.
    That's what the pool noodle is for. You cut it down to the exact length of the crib and shove it into the gap at the back of the crib, so there are NO gaps and the crib mattress is pushed up really snug against yours. It really can be done safely. Try googling "how to sidecar a crib" and you will see lots of examples. Maybe if you can show your husband some photos and instructions, you can both feel more secure about the safety issues.

Honestly I wish I had side carred our crib from the very beginning. By the time I learned about it we had already survived some of our worst sleep challenges and didn't really need that tool anymore. But it would have been awesome. Next baby: Sidecar FTW.

Mommal: You said you have a memory foam mattress. Have you heard of "offgassing" as a theory for why SIDS happens? Do the chemicals worry you at all? I stumbled upon this theory last night and literally have not slept. I spent the night worrying and reading and now I'm not sure WHAT to think. It does present some pretty compelling theories.

don't ALL traditional mattresses offgas a lot? they're generally treated with formaldehyde and other known carcinogens that are fire-retardant. i think that's why some people get organic mattresses.

(i guess my point is - is there anything different about memory foam?)
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

No there's not... but I think it might be more concentrated in a memory foam mattress? Either way I'm left wondering what is safe if this is a legitimate worry.

My feeling on offgassing is that unless you're prepared to spend a bundle on an organic mattress, you're going to get exposed to some sort of nasty chemical. Not to mention your couch, your carpet, your cleaning supplies, and your child's sleep wear. Not that I want to add to your anxiety... :/

I personally don't buy the offgassing explanation because SIDS existed long before foam mattresses. And although people think of offgassing as a modern phenomenon, household pollution is as old as houses. Combustion products from open flames. Areosolized cooking oils. Gas from gas and kerosene lamps. The one thing that I think does make a difference, in terms of what we're exposed to, is the insulation of our houses. Open a window in the room where you sleep, and you'll be making a huge difference in terms of how much "stuff" you're keeping in.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

That's a really valid point Mommal. I can always count on you to be pragmatic, thank you!

I found the report done by the committee that set out to disprove the offgassing/fungus theory and I feel a lot better. I was just remembering how BAD the mattress stunk when we first bought it. When we BF at night baby has his face right down there in the mattress so it scared me to think that by BFing I could be exposing him to toxic gasses.

Also, a couple things to keep in mind, is that all things in terms of off gassing is something you worry about with NEW stuff. So if you have been sleeping on your mattress for a while, you were probably already exposed to the things you are concerned about and it's less of a problem now for your baby. Same as with new pain fumes.
    Also a child who is safely co-sleeping with a breastfeeding mother chances of SIDS are reduced exponentially.

Way too lazy for formula

Well the other option is a crib right? Isn't that mattress made of the same material in general? I was always more concerned with getting the most sleep at that age bc like mommal pointed out, those chemicals are likely just a few more in a long list of chemicals all over your house. It's a great thing to research and cut out (most household cleaning supplies and beauty products are easy to make, cheaper, and, IME, work better than the chemical laden kind) but I wouldn't stress out over this. You're doing great!