Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I need sleep

Default Re: I need sleep

Yes, I'm remembering that I went hyper after the birth of my daughter and ended up on Zoloft because of anxiety which went away when I got my levels fixed. It's funny how you forget these things.

I can't fall asleep even when I get a chance so it's very likely that that's the problem.

Baby has spit up every single time I've fed him this morning and he seems famished so we're going in for a weight check and to see if he's okay. He's been stuffy all week too. I'm frustrated that the LC doesn't seem to care that the latch is shallow and painful, or that it takes him many small meals to get full. All she seems to care about is whether or not he's eating then she washes her hands of him. Grr.

Also I gave baby a new type of pacifier- this has cost a small fortune... he fought it all night then finally took it when daddy gave it to him and his suck was off the next few feedings! Baby can't have ANY artificial nipples without getting confused VERY quickly!! Which is not good for things like spending hours at the hospital for my PP checkup because he'll have to go to that germy place with me.

Anyway, I was fine with safe cosleeping, because it seems so right, I mean did early Hominids have cribs? No, they slept with their babies. All the Anthropological data completely backs up cosleeping as the way to go, but then there was my Ped with this recent study showing that even if you don't smoke, you BF etc, cosleeping is unsafe. I trust Dr Sears and people like McKenna more than some random study based on possibly skewed numbers though because they actually studied the connection between mother and baby. But I want my bed back occasionally.
    Last edited by @llli*apifera; July 31st, 2013 at 08:59 AM.

Hang in there, mama. It really does get easier! Hope the doctor's visit is reassuring and doesn't just give you new things to worry about.

I am a big fan of safe cosleeping, but I understand wanting the bed to yourself, too. Maybe your DH can take the baby for a bit and let you sleep in sometimes? Just an extra hour of having the bed to myself can be a nice treat.

He's been trying to take the baby and he just cries. He literally cries if he doesn't have a breast. All the time.

I love sleeping with him, but we've been moving our bed every which way. Off the ground, on the ground, against the wall, with the cosleeper between the wall and the bed, on the frame... currently the bed is on the frame and we're too exhausted to alter it YET again. We've changed it maybe eight times since he was born.

I actually got him to sleep in his cosleeper. He's been in there 20 minutes and I can't relax and sleep myself because his breathing seems super shallow and he's in a very deep sleep. Do they get the benefits of bedsharing while cosleeping or do they need to be touching us for us to act like the "breathing reminder" dr Sears talks about?

Have I gone over into being totally neurotic with this question?

Co-sleeping in a sidecar crib is probably ideal. Mom is close enough to sense baby's breathing and movements, but there's no danger of overlying him.

Get some rest, mama! Do you have an smartphone or tablet? There's an app called "Breathing Zone" that can walk you through a deep breathing session and get you in the mood to sleep.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes. Baby sleeping in the same room as mom is close enough for the beneficial breathing. I dug out the baby sleep book. On page 82 there is an illustration of a side sleeping baby and an explanation of how to stretch their arms out so they will be least likely to roll on their tummy. Something to look into.

Thanks for the advice ladies. I do feel a little better when I am not watching the clock or taking account of how much sleep I'm losing. It helps to know this is all normal. I always wondered why so many moms said Formula is easier.... well now I know... breastfeeding is more than just a "method" it's an act of love that takes everything you have to stay committed to.

One consolation for me, when I was going through the all-night nursathons, was the knowledge that even formula-fed babies wake up to eat at night. Even though I was often up 8-10 times a night to nurse, at least nursing meant that I could simply roll over, latch baby on, and drift back to sleep, instead of having to get up and walk to the kitchen and mix the formula and warm the formula and trudge back upstairs and feed the baby and then get the baby back to sleep and only then get back into bed and try to sleep... I know people will tell you that formula makes babies sleep longer, or that "at least your husband can share the burden", but my experience tells me that neither of those things are necessarily true. My formula-feeding friends are up all night with their kids, too, and somehow their husbands just never seem to wake up to help!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Co-sleeping in a sidecar crib is probably ideal. Mom is close enough to sense baby's breathing and movements, but there's no danger of overlying him.
    This is a great suggestion. Do you have a traditional crib, or just the cosleeper? If you have a traditional crib, you just take off one of the long sides and attach the crib it to your bed so that the crib mattress butts right up against your side of the adult mattress (you can google how-to ... it usually requires some combination of bungees and pool noodles and possibly propping the crib so the surfaces are even, but it's not hard). This would address several of your concerns: There would be no "lip" separating you and baby (like you said bothers you about the cosleeper), and it would expand your sleep surface so that you would have more room (you said you wanted hubby to be able to come back to your bed too).

If you had the crib side-carred, baby could be on "his" side, you would scoot to the edge of your mattress to nurse him, but then when he unlatches and rolls back to sleep, he's in his own sleep space and you have yours again too. But you could still reach over to put a hand on his chest to settle him, give him physical touch, etc.

Mercystreet: I actually suggested this to my husband last night. He was all for it till he saw that there would be a gap that needed filled in the back of the crib... he feels that it would be unsafe and that there would never be a way to quite get it shored up safely.

We bought some Styrofoam blocks and put them in the cosleeper to raise the mattress up a little bit so that it does't feel like the baby is so far down/far away... tried to put him in it last night and he screamed bloody murder. Husband insisted I just take the baby to bed with me. But we have a memory foam mattress... it's quite firm for memory foam but it does contour to the body a little bit (probably not really more than a regular mattress, just less springy) and I feel like it's unsafe for baby. Yet that's where he keeps ending up. I miss having a blanket. I miss snuggling with my husband. I know I sound whiny but I wish there was a way sleep with both of them, but in a queen sized bed it's not really working.

I've been reading this thing: http://cosleeping.nd.edu/assets/31970/ which makes me feel a little better.

Ayway, I'm still exhausted... I now know all of this is normal but the baby is eating once or twice an hour at night and I fell asleep while feeding him several times last night and at one point I did drop my breast in his nose and he gasped and moved away and woke me up. I'm really angry with myself and so frustrated.