Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I need sleep

Default Re: I need sleep

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Also, a couple things to keep in mind, is that all things in terms of off gassing is something you worry about with NEW stuff. So if you have been sleeping on your mattress for a while, you were probably already exposed to the things you are concerned about and it's less of a problem now for your baby. Same as with new pain fumes.
    Also a child who is safely co-sleeping with a breastfeeding mother chances of SIDS are reduced exponentially.
    This theory is that a certain fungus eats chemicals in bedding and puts off a toxic fume over time- so the longer the mattress is exposed to baby spit up, pee etc, it gets worse. It sounds completely psychotic and not possible but a lot of people took it seriously, I guess. I've read enough to not be very freaked out about it but I'm still pretty anxious about SIDS and probably will be till he's one.

I'm considering talking about the possibility of PPD in the form of anxiety at my post partum appt this week. I'm pretty distraught about this. Possibly more than the normal level parents usually are.

We actually went out and bought a crib tonight and are attempting to side car it to the bed now. Well, my husband is.

Definitely talk to your doctor if you think you're having more than normal levels of anxiety. I was definitely there after my baby was born, we had a traumatic labor, and I really struggled with it. I spent probably 23 out of 24 hours a day going over every bad thing that could ever possibly happen ever, and just could not stop the cycle. Therapy broke the cycle for me, and I could not be more grateful for it. It is so worth it for everyone for you to feel okay!

it's tough to ask for help but it's the right thing!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

So the OB at my practice was one I've never seen. She just pushed Zoloft at me and gave me a prescription for the mini pill. I'm not sure Zoloft is safe or if I should take the pill. Ugh. So not helpful!

Zoloft is safe. See Infantrisk or Dr hale about any prescription compatible with breastfeeding questions.

Way too lazy for formula

http://www.infantrisk.com/content/an...-breastfeeding This article doesn't make them seem particularly safe to me. I'm not looking for a "benefits outweigh risks" situation, I'm looking for little to no risk.

Can anyone tell me if the zoloft would sedate him? I'm getting rather bad about this but as I have more PPA than PPD and my fear is SIDS and the experts think that not being able to wake up from too deep a sleep is the cause for it I'm struggling with taking anything that could sedate baby.

Sorry for all the questions.

No one is going to be able to tell you how your baby would react to a certain medication, just how their baby reacted. In my case my son showed no side effects from the three antidepressants I took while breastfeeding. The article you linked to said to look out for uneasy sleep in the baby, so the opposite of your worry. Did infant risk say increased sleepiness could be a side effect?
    Have you looked into counseling? If your anxiety is this great about taking these type of meds, perhaps trying a therapist first would be a better route? You could reevaluate the situation in a few weeks. I took the meds bc I was in a very suicidal/homicidal state of mind. The benefits definitely outweighed the risks. But I also saw a counselor who was referred to me through our insurance company. She was aware of our financial situation so she never charged me a cent, just billed insurance. I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. SIDS is a really freaky possibility and gave me a ton of worry too.

I just went ahead and took a pill. I can't really handle this level of anxiety anymore.

Infantrisk didn't say anything about sedation- but the pharmacist did and she printed something out for me and warned me against taking it... the printout said the AAP says to use with extreme caution and a bunch of other ominous stuff.

I should switch pediatricians... practice and all. Two separate peds have pretty much accused me of bad parenting for sleeping with him and one of them made me repeat back to her that I knew that by sleeping with him I was increasing his risk of SIDS. Actually maybe I should file a complaint.

I just want someone to tell me he'll be okay.

No that's standard Pedi talk. Don't ask your Pedi for parenting advice. It's not medical advice. That is really all you should be talking to them about. Where your kid sleeps is about how you parent. They really shouldn't get to weigh in on those decisions at all.

Way too lazy for formula