Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding and baby blues....help!!

Default Breastfeeding and baby blues....help!!

Hi everyone,
    Well I'm still hanging in there, but nipples are still sore, milk supply still isn't up to par and now in addition to all of my nursing challenges, I've gotten a case of the baby blahs. We're working so hard on the nursing thing...I'm drinking the tea, taking fenugreek, he gets nothing but breast except for his bedtime bottle of breastmilk that my hubby feeds him. It just seems like all I do is nurse. I'm going nuts from hanging at home and have been bursting into tears at the drop of a hat.
    I keep telling myself that this is what I wanted, so suck it up and try to enjoy! But a big part of me is saying switch to formula and take off that pressure! I just know I'm going to regret it if I quit, and this is the last baby....so there's no do-overs. Any words of wisdom???
    Thanks,
    Michelle

Default Re: Breastfeeding and baby blues....help!!

You didn't say how old your little man is, but the first 6 weeks really are rough! You really do nothing but nurse, but it helps if you have someone to help you out! Hopefully your dh can be that person?

I don't really have any words of wisdom, but maybe try a sling? You can get a lot done, get out of the house for a bit, and nurse at the same time.

And I have a question...why do you think your supply is low?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

You can do it, don't quit, hang in there, this too shall pass. Do yourself a favor and get out of the house. I was getting Shack Wacky too and was getting really irritated because DH could go at the drop of a hat and I was always stuck home nursing. I got over it, started NIP, started going out and it was much MUCH better. Even now, when I get tired of him being on the nip, I look at that beautiful face and know that when the time comes for this period to end (sniff) I'm going to wish I had more days where all he did was nurse. Sit back, relax, breathe, and keep on going. YOU CAN DO IT!!! Best of luck, you're in my thoughts. Keep us posted. BTW, how do you know your milk isn't up to par yet? Just wondering.

Hey Mama...hang in there! It sounds like you are doing a good job. I know for me, sometimes it seems so difficult and then I have these incredibly rewarding moments with my LO, when he is nursing like a cherub and his little eyes are closed and he just looks like he is in the happiest place in the world. It makes all those trying times worth it...and I will admit, that my LO is almost 5 months old (man where did the time go?) and I have just recently been having those incredibly heart warming moments that make me understand what bonding means! It makes me not only proud, but I feel so much more love for my DS than I ever have He is my little cherub and although I am excited for the person he will grow to be, I want to hang on to every precious moment I have where I am his comfort, his nourishment and his definition of true love. One day he may not feel that way about me...but for now I am his mama and nothing makes him happier than being in my arms and nursing away...besides...if you switch, you will be endlessly washing bottles and preparing bottles (and his poop will be stinkier ) but to me those are hardly good enough reasons...my reasons are what I said above You can do it! And time really does fly...nexy thing you know, you'll be posting saying Help!! My LO wants to wean...and I don't want him to! hee hee

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. My son is now five months old and I am breastfeeding...but felt very much like you for the first month. Things began to get better and by two months we were happy and set.

My lactation consultant said something that took some pressure off.
    She told me that although breast milk is best for the baby, there have been many very healthy formula fed babies as well. She said for me not to worry about what others think. That breast feeding isn't for everyone and that a HAPPY MOM makes for a HAPPY BABY....whether they are breast or bottle fed. SO.....just try and do what you feel is right for you. Don't let people pressure you into breastfeeding if it is making things too hard for you. On the other hand, if you can stick it out, I promise it will get easier.....and you'll be happy you don't have to get up and make bottles!!!

GOOD LUCK!

Hi gang,
    Thanks for the words of encouragement!!!

I guess I did forget to give background. This is my second baby, they're 11 yrs apart....we were told 5 yrs ago that we couldn't have anymore. I got a breast reduction in 2002, and so not only am I missing milk ducts, some of the ones that I have probably aren't lined up right, as my nipples were relocated, so it's a miracle that I can nurse at all. My LO is almost 8 weeks, and was 10lbs 4 oz at birth. He is gaining, and has plenty of wet diapers a day....although his poopies have gone down to once every other day and they it's explosive and messywhen it happens. He's always hungry though and rooting and knawing on his hands. He's a big boy and it's nothing for him to nurse on both sides and then have a couple of oz's that I pumped some other time. I pump after he eats, trying to increase so we don't have to do the couple of oz's by bottle too, but nothing is kickin in. I know it's not supposed to be easy, but EASIER would be nice!
    Michelle

I don't know if you have already checked them out, but there are quite a few resources on kellymom.com and llli.org that might help. Here's a link to them http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...t-surgery.html. This isn't something I have experience with, but one thing they mention on this site is a book about defining your own success. Maybe doing that is something that might help you. Breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing--any amount you give is a gift to your baby. And, like the pps have said, it does get easier as time goes on an the hormones level out a bit more.

I'm also a mom of big babies -- my first was well over 11 lbs, and my second was 9 lbs and is now pushing 11 at 2.5 weeks.

The constant baby demands, coupled with any difficulties nursing, do take a toll on us. When I find I really need some space, I put the baby in the car and drive for a little while. The motion soothes the baby to sleep (so he's not demanding to nurse -- for a little while!) and I have some quiet time to myself, with nobody touching me, demanding anything of me, so forth. I listen to music I like (not too loudly) and I enjoy the time I have alone, and then I'm able to deal with the constant nursing for another day or so.

Or, I feed the baby and hand him to daddy to get back to sleep; in fact, daddy has the baby right now, but it's been nearly a week since I was able to even get online. With my first, I nursed around 10PM and went to bed so I got a couple hours of sleep before the next nursing. Rest is important when one is dealing with the baby blues/PPD.

As a previous PPD survivor, I can testify that finding some way to get some time and space to yourself, particularly if the baby is challenging in any way, is vital for mental health.

Baby blues are usually only around in the first two weeks. There's a quiz at www.postpartum.net you can do to determine if you are still having baby blues (and therefore need to just wait it out while taking care of yourself) or if they are turning into something more serious, particularly since you are at 8 weeks postpartum.

Hang in there!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!