Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: he refuses one of my breasts

Default he refuses one of my breasts

hello, I have a one month old baby, and, althoug he seems to be hungry all day (I have to feed him not only frequently, but also during a long time each time he demands nursing, about one hour or more, and, in spite of this, he spends crying most of the day...), during the last days he often refuses one of my breasts, even both, when I offer them to him...I dont know what to do, I think the position is not the problem...some help? thank you

Default Re: he refuses one of my breasts

Welcome to the forum! It's totally normal for a baby- especially such a young baby- to feed very frequently (at least 10-12 times a day) to feed for long time periods (an hour is not uncommon), and to be fussy for a lot of the day.

How has baby's weight gain and diaper output been in the last month? And what exactly is baby doing at the breast? Refusing to latch on? Latching on but then pulling off and crying?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi and welcome to the forum!

A baby feeding very frequently and for long periods is normal in the newborn time, but if baby is not getting enough milk despite all that nursing that is obviously an issue.

I have a few questiosn to hopefully get a better picture..

Is baby exclusively breastfed? Any bottles?

How is babies weight gain as far as you know? can you give us a weight check history with weights and day of life?
    How many times a day does baby poop and about how big and what do they look like?
    Does nursing hurt you at all? Anything else to report about how you are feeling (are your breasts ever engorged, or overfull, any plugs, etc.?)

Can you describe the fussiness or crying in more detail-is it worse at any particular time of day? Worse or better a after a spit up or burp? Worse when baby is laid flat or left in crib or bassinet? Will baby be calmer and sleep for longer periods if being held by you or another trusted adult or does that make no difference?

How long has it been since baby has taken that one side? Are you expressing milk out somehow? It is important to be pumping or hand expressing if baby is refusing to nurse, even if only needed on the one side..

You don't think it is a position issue, and it may not be, but positioning can cause latch issues...what positions have you tried?

Any sign of ill health? A cold, for example?

thanks

EDIT: ooops missed mommals post.

hello! I give you more details:
    weight: birth: 4,180 kg, leaving hospital (2 days after) 3,950 kg, five days later 4,150, one week later (2nd week) 4,450, 3rd week 4,500, 4th, 4,600. Lenght: birth, 55 cm, 3rd week 56 cm, 4th week 57 cm. Bottles: we feed him both with bottles and breast milk during the first two weeks, because at hospital they told us probably he will need it, since he was very big, and he did few wet diapers (about four a day). five or six days later, the nmber of wet diapers increased (6-7). following 4 days without poop, but after that he did once or twice a day. 3rd week, any bottle, continued with 6-7 wet diapers a day, but no poop in 6 days. 4th week, poop one day, following don't, following he did and since that nothing (4 days without). when he does, it is yellow and liquid. 4th week he begins to refuse one of my breast, sometimes both. we offered him bottles twice, because he cried a lot, but refused continue feeding from my breasts. I did not offer him anythin but milk, and a medicine prescribed by doctor to help him with the poop, with water. doctor did not find illness signals, visited two different docs. The refusal: what he does is: he latch without problem, he sucks a little and then begins to pull the nipple and cry, stop sucking. what I do: I try it again, two or three times more. if he continues doing the same, I offer the other breast, if he accept ok, if not, I give him milk previously obtained with a milk pump, if I haven't and cries a lot, bottle (just twice last week, and after he began to refuse). he does it sometimes in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon or evenin, even by night. position: I have tried three: in my lap, under my arm, like a rugby ball, and lying (night), it makes no difference. I think he usually latch ok because I can see his mouth wide open (well, not always, specially at night, I put him away and try it again, not always does better), he moves his cheek and ear while feeding and his belly is touching my body. usually it does not hurt, just by night (he latch worse) and when he refuses and pull the nipple. in spite of that, my nipples and areola are a little sore. i don't think he acts different with me or another person. I have not changed my habits or eaten nothin different, but after his birth I have been a little anxious, mainly because of the feeding...what do you think can be the problem? thank you...

The first thing I have to say is that your hospital totally misinformed you about the needs of big babies. Big babies don't need supplemental feedings any more than small or medium babies do- in fact, they need them less because a bigger baby has more fat reserves to fall back on during that relatively brief period during which milk production is being established and the baby is learning to nurse. I would actually write them an angry letter over their poor advice! Just imagine how many breastfeeding moms are being sabotaged...

I'm also irked at your pediatrician, who wants you to give your baby medecine to make him poop, plus water! First of all, you are not supposed to give a baby under 6 months water, as it can throw off their electrolyte balance and fills baby up with a calorie-free substance that not only lacks the immunoprotective qualities of breastmilk, but can also carry germs unless the water has been sterilized. And second, it's normal for a breastfed baby to go up to a week between poops, sometimes as much as 2 weeks, because breastmilk is utilized so completely by the baby's body, leaving little waste. However, most babies poop several times a day until at least 6 weeks- the fact that your baby slowed down early is something to be aware of.

For the non-metric moms who are taking a look at baby's weight, it goes like this:
    Birth = 9.2 lbs
    5 days = 8.7 lbs
    1 week = 9.14 lbs
    2 weeks = 9.8 lbs
    3 weeks = 9.9 lbs
    4 weeks = 10.1 lbs

Based on the above, I'm a bit worried about baby's intake since you stopped supplementing at 2 weeks. Up to that point, he was gaining at a very normal rate, but now he seems to be gaining quite slowly. How many times a day does he nurse? Are you doing anything that would make him go longer between feedings- like swaddling him, giving him a pacifier, making him wait a predetermined length of time before nursing?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I just had a quick thought, could lactose overload be an issue here, and could block feeding possibly help?
    Mum to 3 gorgeous sons - all breastfed

Lactose overload is, as far as I know, pretty much exclusively the product of oversupply. When mom has an oversupply, the baby will tend to gain weight very rapidly. And you don't want to block feed unless you know for sure that you have an oversupply, as it can easily reduce supply to a level that is too low.

Ah yes, that fits with how my second son was. (I only realised he suffered from LO AFTER that fact unfortunately!)
    Mum to 3 gorgeous sons - all breastfed

Thanks so much mommal for those conversions...

OK, so Baby was supplemented with bottles the first two week-but did you pump as well? Anytime a newborn baby gets ANY supplements, mom has to pump or her milk production is going to suffer. Also, early bottles also cause issues like bottle confusion or nipple confusion where baby starts refusing the breast-basically because, at a very critical time, baby is being (inadvertently) trained away from the breast. If you have a combo of nipple confusion plus possible low supply, yes, baby is going to start refusing the breasts.

And I second all that mommal said about giving a baby medicine/water for poops. But I am even more concerned, because this was what-week two or three...I think it has to be considered that your baby was not getting enough milk and that it why your baby was not pooping. A baby pooping only every few days who is gaining well, as mommal suggests, is probably doing fine. But poor gain plus no poops means baby simply may not be getting enough to eat. btw average gain after the first week or so is about an ounce a day, or 6 to 8 ounces per week. First week gain is typically very little because baby typically loses weight the first couple days, often plateaus for another day or so, then starts to gain.

Are there any Board Certified Lactation consultants (IBCLC) you can see, any local breastfeeding support group? This can be turned around but it would really help to figure out why your babies gain is slow and make sure baby is getting enough milk, while of course working on that breast refusal.

I forgot to ask how often your baby nurses. (how many times in a 24 hour day)

Here are two articles you may find helpful;

What is normal in the early weeks with a breastfed baby http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

Help baby won't nurse http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; July 30th, 2013 at 10:40 PM.

Hi, thanks for your answers, this week he gained more weight, 250 grs (5th week). Sorry, I don't know the equivalence in pounds. Poops continue being the same: this week twice. He continues nursing very often, ten to twelve times a day,or even more