Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Out of nowhere-extrememly sore breast

Default Out of nowhere-extrememly sore breast

Hey Mamas,

Looking for your thoughts here

There are no noticeable changes in our routine other than i've dropped a pumping session during the work day from 3 to 2. But it's been that way for 2 weeks now with no issue. We still nurse a ton mornings, evenings and weekends.

Since yesterday i'm having extreme soreness on my right breast, all over, but especially on the underside. Sore to the touch, and sore during my let-down.

Could this really be a breast infection out of nowhere? I'm nursing more on that side today as well as warm compresses, but I don't know how I would have developed this?

Thanks all,
    Amy

Default Re: Out of nowhere-extrememly sore breast

This could be a breast infection out of nowhere. They often pop up when a mom is in the process of weaning- more milk sitting in the feast means more chance of infection. Do your best to drain the breast frequently and completely, use moist heat and massage, vary your nursing position, and stay alert for symptoms of mastitis (red streaks/patches on the skin of the breast, deep breast pain, fever, chills, aches and pains, flu-like feelings). If you think this is turning into mastitis, see your doctor.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    This could be a breast infection out of nowhere. They often pop up when a mom is in the process of weaning- more milk sitting in the feast means more chance of infection. Do your best to drain the breast frequently and completely, use moist heat and massage, vary your nursing position, and stay alert for symptoms of mastitis (red streaks/patches on the skin of the breast, deep breast pain, fever, chills, aches and pains, flu-like feelings). If you think this is turning into mastitis, see your doctor.
    thanks Mommal! Just seems so strange since i'm not really weaning THAT much...but I suppose inadvertently he's nursing less since he's eating more solids and sleeping through the night for the most part.

I will keep an eye on it!

Yeah, that is how breast infections usually occur-out of nowhere. I got one from one day of baby sleeping a slightly longer time during a car ride plus seatbelt pressing on my breast.

Empty breast, lots of rest.