Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Won't nurse, won't eat!

Default Won't nurse, won't eat!

I've posted before but my problem has escalated and I'm at my wit's end...

My LO is just now 3 months. About 4 weeks ago she started rejecting the breast in anger. I thought it would pass quickly, as we had moved and I knew she was unsettled. It didn't. I wasn't terribly worried because she would still eat when she was falling asleep or waking up; she also ate well at night. At one point I did start pumping and giving her bottles but it was like I was torturing her--she gulped and spluttered and screamed. (I tried several different kinds of bottles; she had the same reaction to all of them.) So I returned her to the breast and we limped along for awhile longer.

She'll still nurse when sleepy but it's getting harder and harder to get her to "wind down" for a feeding, and she nurses for less and less time--sometimes just sucking through the letdown and maybe a minute longer, then maybe a comfort suck or two, then that's it. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I can detach her and give her the other breast and she'll do the same thing. But heaven help me if she wakes up in the middle of a feeding--that's it! All done! I've seen an LC who advised wearing her in a sling skin-to-skin: tried that. She hates the sling. I have literally tried every position over and over again; she's wise to all my tricks. I put her on my chest so she can go to one breast, she cries. I prop her back with a pillow so we can side-lie, she cries and rolls the other direction. I try to give her a bottle and short of literally pouring the milk down her throat she absolutely refuses. In the meantime I'm tearing my hair out because it's been hours since I've managed to get any food in her and in between crying because I'm trying to get her to eat she's crying in hunger.

So far she still has 6 wets a day, but she used to have 8+ and every day it seems like she eats a little less and a little less. I don't understand what is happening! She's so hungry and she won't eat! I've tried a nursing vacation--I've tried everything! Everyone says nursing strikes are supposed to end in a few days; this has gone on for weeks and weeks. What could possibly be wrong?
    Last edited by @llli*Aeryn; July 28th, 2013 at 12:02 AM.

Default Re: Won't nurse, won't eat!

Has reflux been considered? And has baby Ben weighed during this period of difficult nursing?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I hadn't considered reflux because she doesn't really spit up--maybe a few drops here and there. She has been weighed; she's managed to gain a little over a pound in 4 weeks somehow.

There's something called "silent" reflux, where the baby reswallows the stomach contents instead of spitting them out. I'd at least bring it up with the doc.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"