Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting engorged/leaking

Default Getting engorged/leaking

So since I pumped from day two I never actually got engorged or felt my milk "come in". Well now that baby is on the breast exclusively I seem to be having some issues.

The left one, if baby doesn't eat every two hours max, becomes very full and leaky. It also leaks while baby eats from the right, just totally soaking him. It just pours in his mouth and he doesn't like it so he fuses then goes to sleep. I tried using the manual pump (we returned the expensive hospital one because we can't afford to keep it at that rate) and immediately pulled out 3 ozs. Then I fed him and he took it for a few minutes then spit it out. Now the right one hurts and clearly needs emptied. But I can't use the manual pump by myself... I have no way to hold it AND do the two handed pump action.

Baby is gaining almost 2 ozs a day!! He clearly eats enough and frankly he's at it every hour or two, sometimes going three- which is when I have the problem. I can't force him to eat when he doesn't want to, and certainly not when I'm out and about in the car.

Is it normal to be this leaky and have the milk virtually pour into baby's mouth? Why am I suddenly having these problems now that I'm not pumping. He eats MORE than I pumped. More often anyway.

After all the hard work we did to get him to latch I am worried that he'll develop an aversion due to strong let down. Help?!

Also baby clearly has reflux and the dr was SUPPOED to send in a prescription because elevating him is not helping and my husband and I are so tired from holding him 24-7 and never sleeping that we're going to have an accident soon.
    Last edited by @llli*apifera; July 26th, 2013 at 04:51 PM.

Default Re: Getting engorged/leaking

I'm thinking that you may have pumped yourself into a bit of an oversupply. It's an advantage when you're EPing, but once baby is at the breast it can be an annoyance. Try adopting reclined nursing positions and see if that slows the flow to baby. And nurse as much as possible- frequent feedings will prevent the breast from becoming overfull and wil make nursing more comfortable for the baby even when you're making more milk than he needs.

It's awesome that your baby is gaining 2 oz per day! Keep up the good work, mama!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I feel like what's happening is he isn't eating enough to drain them. Though I guess that if I have an oversupply that could be the problem, as he isn't eating as much as I produce. Yeah, I get that. But I've been mostly EBFing since Monday and this only started in the last 24 hours? Plus, my supply was about 21-25 mL as measured by the pump.

It's just worrisome because they hurt and are leaky just like when I dried up with my daughter 5 years ago who was never able to latch. They were really full last night and when I used the manual pump all I got was 20 mL of really white and creamy milk from both together. Nothing else would come out.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to recline like you ladies suggest without faceplanting the baby in my breast and smothering him. I've tried a bunch of times but I've had zero luck.
    Last edited by @llli*apifera; July 27th, 2013 at 08:44 AM.

How is baby's diaper output? If he's peeing okay, then you can be pretty sure that he's getting enough milk, and the fullness/engorgement is not a sign of a problem with milk transfer. If his diaper output is slacking off, that could be a sign that you need to rely on the pump for a while longer.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"