Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stool

Default Stool

So my DS was 8 weeks old in Monday, we have been nursing good and weight gain has been great. DS has always seemed gassy but the last week it seems worse, since Sunday he has been having large mucusy stools, they have been darker or green in color, still seem to be seedy but have questioned a few spots of blood in a couple diapers...any advice as to what is going on?

Default Re: Stool

I saw that you recently posted a concern that your baby was gaining too fast. Rapid weight gain + what you are describing stool-wise are two indications of over production. So that would be my first guess. Do you see any other indications that indicate this possibility? (Baby unhappy with very fast milk flow, you feeling very full in between feedings..also is baby taking longer spaces between nursing sessions, are you pumping for any reason, or switching sides each session...?

Blood in stool is also sometimes due to dairy allergy from dairy proteins in mothers milk causing a reaction in baby. But this is a much more rare situation and fast weight gain is NOT indicative of allergy.

Have you had any bleeding from the breast or nipples? That can of course cause ingestion of blood and then you may see digested blood in the stool.

In the beginning I did struggle with over production and engorgment but it seems better, we are nursing every 2-2.5 hrs during the day and anywhere from 3-6hrs at night. He usually only takes one breast (he only nurses from the left 99% of the time) very seldom will he nurse from the right, so I pump and freeze the right 3 times a day.

No issues with my nipples, and I'm unsure if it was blood I saw...

with LLLMeg. Keep an eye on this, but don't freak out about it. It's probably nothing, especially since baby is happy and healthy and growing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"