Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help please!! 1st baby

Default Help please!! 1st baby

Hello All,
    This our 1st baby.
    While we were at the hospital we were breastfeeding our baby every couple of hrs and everything looked fine.
    On the 2nd to 3rd day we noticed the baby was crying a lot and me and my husband started feeling very sad and nervous, the 1st thing that came to our minds was IS THE BABY STYING HUNGRY???? so we continue breasfeeding the baby and we tried to do more often and on both sides, but this did not help.
    So my husband decided to pourchased a brest pump and try it just to see how much milk was coming out of her breast, and we found out that there was not enough milk coming out.
    At this point we went ahead and continue pumping out instead of breasfeeding, but we could not get enought milk to feed the baby every 2 hrs, so now we had to add formula and everything seems good and back to normal.

Right now we are currently pumping out milk and we are getting only enought for 3 meals at day.
    We are also feeding the baby with formula for the rest of the feeding times when we do not have breast milk.

Sorry for the long story.
    Here are my questions and I hope I can get very helpful answers and support:

1. Is it bad that we chose to pump out the milk and feed the baby with a bottle?
    2. What can we do to produce more milk and to try to go back to breadfeeding only?
    3. Is it okay to feed the baby with breast milk and also with formula?
    4. What are we doing wrong?

We are not feeling very well about this, every single person around us is telling us different opinions abouth this ols schoool tricks, home remedies or how they se to do it 30 years ago and/or new 2013 medicine methods from doctor, grandmas, mother brother and sisters, and all we are getting is being more confuse and not knowing what to do next or what is the right thing to do.

Any advise or help is very important to us.

Thank you

Default Re: Help please!! 1st baby

Hi and welcome to the forum.

First off, take a deep breath. it's going to be ok. Lots of new parents struggle in the early days with this stuff. It is really scary to suddenly be responsible for a newborn. Nothing that has happened so far means you will not be able to nurse your baby if that is your goal.

I suggest that right now, you need 1) accurate information about breastfeeding so you can know what is a problem and what is not
    and 2) (if possible) I would suggest a consultation with a BOARD CERTIFIED lactation consultant (IBCLC)-one who is experienced and can help you figure out how breastfeeding is going, what needs improving, and how to wean off supplements if that is your goal. We can help you with the information, but it can be very helpful to see someone in person who can accurately assess YOUR situation and give you a clear plan to follow rather than a bunch of conflicting opinions.

Ok. I am not going to answer your specific questions not because I am ignoring them but because you are not asking the right questions. Worrying about what has already happened and wondering if the choices you have made were "wrong" or "bad" is not going to help anything and is unknowable anyway. So if you don't mind I would like to help you focus on today and the future-ok?

OK. I have some questions for you, which I will ask in another post, because before you take time to answer I strongly suggest calling and making an appt with a good IBCLC.

How do you find one? Ask your pediatrician, hospital, ask local LLL, look up names here http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1 and call a couple, chat for a bit and see if there is one that sounds right for you.

Here is what an appt with an IBCLC should generally consist of http://cwgenna.com/lconsult.html

My questions:

1) How many days old is baby?
    2) Please provide a weight history with the scale reading and day of life. Please only include weights taken on a digital infant scale (as used at the doctor or in the hospital) Please note whenever the scale is different than the one used previously
    3) Do you EVER offer the breast to your baby? what happens if you do?
    4) How many times a 24 hour day is baby given a bottle right now?
    5) how much does baby generally drink at a time?
    6) how many times a day are you pumping?
    7) How much milk comes out each time you pump (average or range)
    8) What kind of a pump are you using?
    9) When you were nursing, did it hurt you?
    10) before you started bottles, had your baby made any poops? Wet diapers?
    11) before you started bottles, did baby cry all the time? Not as much when being held? Did baby nurse pretty well or was baby refusing to nurse?

1) How many days old is baby?
    12 Days old
    2) Please provide a weight history with the scale reading and day of life. Please only include weights taken on a digital infant scale (as used at the doctor or in the hospital) Please note whenever the scale is different than the one used previously
    7/14 when born at hospital weighted 7.4
    7/18 first docotor visit 6.6
    Yes I did and he took it very well, he was on it for 30 to 40 minutes periods.
    4) How many times a 24 hour day is baby given a bottle right now?
    10/11 times, around every 2 to 2.1/2 hrs
    5) how much does baby generally drink at a time?
    he was doing 2oz, but the past couple of days he was stying hungry so I went up to 3oz
    6) how many times a day are you pumping?
    every 2 to 3 hrs, more less about the same time between babys meals
    7) How much milk comes out each time you pump (average or range)
    Every time I pump I can get abuot 1 oz and sometimes a little more.
    8) What kind of a pump are you using?
    Right now I am using a medela manual pump I purchased at a local store, but my insurance recently sent me an Ameda electric double pump whick I received this morning.
    9) When you were nursing, did it hurt you?
    Only on the first grab, and also when I fed the baby using the same side multiple times because I was thinking he was getting more from one side thatn from the other.
    10) before you started bottles, had your baby made any poops? Wet diapers?
    Yes
    11) before you started bottles, did baby cry all the time? Not as much when being held? Did baby nurse pretty well or was baby refusing to nurse?
    Yes baby was nursing very well, and yes he cried a lot between fedding times, this is why I was thinking he was staying hungry.

Yes thank you very much fpor your reply and advise, I will start researching and learning about IBCLC.
    Thank you

I just realized I should have asked first:
    A) Do you want to nurse your baby at the breast, assuming that is possible?
    B) Would you prefer to give your baby breastmilk exclusively, ( no formula) if that is possible?

The facts are clear-human breastmilk is a human infant's natural or 'normal' food and formula is not. Nursing at the breast is the biologically normal way to feed an infant and bottles are not.

Statistically, health outcomes for babies who receive any formula/bottles are consequently not as biologically normal as for those that are exclusively breastfed, and health outcomes for babies who get some breastmilk (and/or, some time nursing at the breast) are better than that for those who do not get any. This is not in dispute, which is why exclusive breastfeeding is recommended by every child health organization of any repute.

But this does not mean formula is "wrong" or "bad." If a baby cannot get ENOUGH breastmilk for some reason, (or for some reason cannot get any) and donated human milk is not an option, then the baby will need formula as a substitute for the breastmilk.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danteo View Post
    Yes thank you very much fpor your reply and advise, I will start researching and learning about IBCLC.
    Thank you
    ooops we cross posted. OK, sounds good! Please let us know how we can help and support you.

EDIT: Whoops I missed taht you answered my questions. OK I will look that over and respond
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; July 26th, 2013 at 12:12 PM.

OK, here is what I am seeing
    Weight loss in the first few days of life is normal but your baby's initial weight loss was quite dramatic. On the other hand, birth weight and doctor office weight means this was two different scales and believe it or not, that can make measurements way off. What did your doctor say?

Yes I did and he took it very well, he was on it for 30 to 40 minutes periods
    Good. But is this now, or those first couple days?

OK- feeding frequency is normal, similar to breastfeeding frequency. This is very good, because you want to keep bottles as similar to breastfeeding as possible. If you try this technique for bottle feeding, http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf baby may not need as much each time and you may be able to “cluster feed” and take longer breaks here and there.

Feedings at the breast normally vary in amount, so anything from around 1 ounce to 3 ounces would be a normal amount per feeding at the breast at this age. Overall, by around two weeks a typical breastfed baby takes in somewhere about 20-25 ounces per day. (this goes up to a total of 25-35 ounces per day by about 6 weeks, and then stops going up.). I do not think this is changed if some of it is formula but that is a ? for your doctor.

Good pump frequency. This is very good! The typical suggestion is that mom should try to pump at least 8-10 times a day if baby is not ever nursing at the breast. The more baby nurses, & the less supplements baby needs, the less often you need to pump. So this can only get better for you-I am sure you are very tired with all this pumping.

OK. So pump output of an ounce per session is actually not so bad. No, it is not enough for baby overall. But remember even just an ounce could be a normal feeding at this age.

OK- as you clearly know, you have not been using the right pump. A manual pump is for very occasional use-NOT for what you have been doing. However it is certainly better than not pumping at all. You are a trooper for pumping all this time with a manual pump! You should probably see much better results with your new pump, however, the pump that is really needed in a situation where baby is not nursing is a hospital grade, rental pump.

But ARE you in a situation where your baby is not nursing-or not able too? It does not sound as if you need to be. I suggest, if you are not already doing so, bring baby to the breast and nurse baby as much as you can. Pump after or between nursing sessions as much as you can, and supplement as you need to, in order to feel comfortable. This should all be adjusted as your IBCLC suggests, of course. But I see no reason to not begin bringing baby to the breast immediately. As long as nursing is not hurting or injuring you, nurse baby as much as both you and baby like. A well nursing baby is better than any pump at extracting milk, so baby nursing at the breast may well get more milk and increase your production faster and better than pumping.

This is a good article on what is normal in the early days with a breastfed baby. http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/ Despite the initial weight loss, baby WAS pooping and peeing indicating baby was getting milk. What a mother produces is always very, very little in the first few days, and will look like very little when you are pumping in particular. Plus a newborn crying a ton is pretty normal, because it is normal for baby to pretty much not be happy unless baby is asleep or nursing (or both at once) in the early weeks and esp. in the first few days. So it is hard to say at this point, if supplementing early on was needed. Since you were both so worried, and supplementing helped you not be worried, I would say, the supplementing was needed at least in that sense.

Now, there may be some need to keep supplementing at least somewhat and at least temporarily, because your production may have been slowed from its normal trajectory due to the milk removal not being great when you switched from nursing to pumping with a manual pump.
    The good news is, you have kept your milk production alive by pumping so often and you have been feeding baby in the 'right' way for this situation. With a better pump and especially, with a nursing baby, it is very likely you can bring your milk production to normal levels. Plus, it is very early days. So imo I think there is a very good chance you will be able to exclusively nurse your baby very soon.

I also suggest the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition)
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; July 26th, 2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Forgot links