Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: achy breast, need help asap!

Default achy breast, need help asap!

Something has been off with my 10 week old twins feeding yesterday and is causing me all sorts of pain!
    One of my girls, E still uses a nipple shield to feed from when we were in hospital. I've tried to wean her off it, but her latch is very shallow and painful.
    But she's not been putting on as much weight as her sister, and I wondered if the shield was stopping her from draining the breast properly as I haven't been getting that empty breast feeling in ages. I swap sides with them every 24hrs, and yesterday her feeding was all off kilter.
    She was crying for food every 2 hours (normally they go 3-4) and then from 3pm onwards fed pretty much constantly. She also got over tired, and I struggled to get her to sleep. Finally settled at 11pm after resorting to an emergency formula top-up, and lately they have been doing a 4-5 hour stretch after the 9pm feed, so I thought I would express milk to start storing some in the freezer. Left breast felt odd, and even expressing I felt as though I couldn't empty it.
    Then as it started to get quite full around 3am I was in agony! The whole right side of my left breast feels bruised. Other twin, G woke up and I had her feed from the left, as I thought I was just engorged. Cue eye watering pain as she fed! And then she never drained the breast either. So got out the pump to see if I could fully drain it to alleviate the pain, but only managed to get a measly 40ml out, and all the while was still in pain that I feel like I might throw up, even now.

Please help me, I need my breasts to be working 100% when I have the two of them to feed.

Default Re: achy breast, need help asap!

Also forgot to mention that G is now on day 7 without doing a poo, so isn't feeding well either and wakes up crying every time she passes wind. Poor mite, I didn't think breastfed babies got constipated, so I've been waiting for the poo explosion, but it doesn't seem to be coming.

Sounds like a plug or mastitis maybe? It is also possible your breast really IS bruised due to poor latch or something.

if you are engorged and/or have plugs that may make it hard to extract milk effectively-for baby OR pump. the milk it there, its just hard to get it out! Try massage and hand expression to get milk out.

more info on plugs and mastitis: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

plugs and blebs: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf

mastits: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...atcanyoudo.pdf

Hand expresssion: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...expression.pdf

Definitely sounds like a plugged duct. I've had a ton these past few weeks. My normal routine if pumping and massaging don't work:
    Take extra soy lecithin, take extra vitamin c, put a cabbage leaf over the plug for about twenty minutes, remove cabbage and apply a moist hot compress (put water in a diaper and pop in the microwave for ten seconds) for thirty minutes, then nurse or pump, massaging the whole time. Usually doing this 4 times over the course of a 24-hour period gets rid of the big block.

Congratulations on your twins!! Thats an awesome accomplishment breastfeeding them both

Whenever I got that bruised feeling, I would start to massage it towards the nipple, just in case there was a blockage or early mastitis. The other thing I always did was have a bottle of homeopathic phytolacca on hand to start taking immediately, and it did seem to help.

All the best