Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lumps in breasts

Default Lumps in breasts

My LO is 3 months old and I have a very low supply (I pump 1 ounce at most from each breast). I have a Hygeia Enjoye and pump frequently throughout the day to make sure to empty each breast since my LO doesn't breastfeed as much as I'd like (since we had to supplement with bottle since she was 2/3 weeks old). Basically, I know that I'm not emptying my breasts and have lumps - they aren't tender enough to be plugged ducts I don't think and I've tried to squeeze/massage the milk out but my breast has yellow bruises and hurts from doing that. I think that I only get one let down immediately and then not another. I am relaxed and make sure to do the same routine when I pump. I read in another post about buying new white flange things. Any advice?

Default Re: Lumps in breasts

Have you tried hand compressions while pumping? That may help more thoroughly empty.

Have you seen the video about how to maximize production and emptying with hands-on pumping? It's focused on moms with babies in the NICU, but the techniques can be helpful for pumping at any stage.

Here it is: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Yes, I've watched the video and tried the compressions. I also started to take Lecithin as Kellymom talks about. Not sure what else to do.

How often do you pump?
    - June 1, 2013