Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Short nursing sessions

Default Short nursing sessions

My baby is 8 days old and I am exclusively breastfeeding. She has plenty of wet and poopy diapers and she is gaining weight. She actually never lost any of her birth weight and had gained 3oz by her 1 week pediatrician appt. my concern is that her nursing sessions are really short. Typically only 6 minutes on one side and maybe a few on the other side. Occasionally she will nurse longer but usually it is just a few minutes. Is this ok? I can hear her gulping the milk so I know she is getting some but everything I read said she should nurse longer. My older DD nursed for 28 months so I am not new at this but it is so different having a newborn again! Thanks!

Default Re: Short nursing sessions

Congrats on the new baby!

Nursing speeds vary widely, even with very young babies. Some babies get all they need in 5-10 minutes, others take closer to an hour. This is why it's better to watch diaper output, weight gain, and the baby's behavior than to watch the clock. If your baby is happy, healthy, and gaining, don't worry if she's a fast feeder!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks! The only other thing that concerns me is that my breasts do not feel completely soft after she is done nursing. Sometimes they even continue to leak after she is done. Does this mean she is not getting enough despite the diapers, etc.? Typically I have her feed on one side, them burp, change diaper, and try to get her to feed on the other. Should I be just feeding on one side per session? With my ODD I did have oversupply/over active letdown issues so not sure if that is happening again?? Thanks again!

If you had OS/OALD issues with your first baby, it's very common to have them again with your second (or third, fourth, etc.), and often the OS/OALD is worse the second/third/fourth/etc. time around.. Having a baby who nurses really quickly at a young age and breasts that never feel entirely empty after nursing would be decent indicators that you have oversupply again.

Some babies will empty the breast very completely, some won't, depending on mom's milk supply. More milk = less likelihood of feeling empty after nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"