Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 7 month old EBF baby will not take formula

Default My 7 month old EBF baby will not take formula

I am trying to wean my 7 month old daughter slowly onto formula, just in the day times. She has 3 small solids a day now but drinks from me after each meal to quench her thirst as she will not finish her formula that made up her solid feed. I am more than happy to carry on breastfeeding in the evenings, through the night and first thing in the morning as I am not ready to completely give up as I love our special time together. I just need her to take formula/even breast milk from a bottle, sippy cup, beaker etc, in the day time so it is more convenient to be able to go places. I haven't been able to go far since she was born because of having to get back for her feeds...but I feel now she is getting older and eating solids that I could now start having abit more freedom. Any idea's greatly appreciated. Oh...she won't take a bottle etc from her daddy either, she just screams for me aaaalll the time. I have had to buy a babasling so I can carry on with house chores whilst keeping her with me too!! Yes, she is a very clingy baby

Default Re: My 7 month old EBF baby will not take formula

Could you take her with you when you go out? I would suggest nursing in public. Having to carry formula and bottles around as well as the time it takes to prepare everything will likely negatively impact your freedom more than just stopping to nurse as needed.
    Often people become really adept at nursing while babywearing too which means you don't even need to find a place to sit.

If nursing in public is difficult for you, let us know! Maybe we can suggest some tricks you haven't thought of.

Will your LO take breastmilk from a bottle? That might be another option that could allow you more freedom. Formula tastes pretty yucky, compared to breastmilk, and maybe taste is part of your baby's issue with the formula bottles?

Your baby is still really young, but now that she has started solids you're getting much closer to the point where you can just have dad or a sitter give solids instead of a bottle. That way there's no need for weaning to formula for any part of the day.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

To be honest I don't know how much breast milk she still should be having. At the moment she has...1..first thing in morning...2...baby rice for breakfast (mixed with formula), then finishes off on me...3...breast feed...4...half a small jar of baby dinner and half a small jar of baby pudding, followed by a sippy cup with about an ounce of baby juice...5..breastfeed...6..baby porridge, finished off on me...then 7.. a breastfeed to settle at bedtime around 7pm...8..another breastfeed at around 10.30-11pm and another breastfeed around 3am!!! Seems to me she is having way too many breastfeeds??? I have tried breast milk in a bottle but she won't even attempt to suck the teat, even from her daddy. Even that would help a great deal so I could have a break and I don't mind keeping her drinking breast milk that way. It is just the convenience really in the day if we have plans. Our other 3 children have broken up for their 6 weeks hols and we would like to go on day trips, but I am panicking about breastfeeding. I will admit I have only ever breastfed in public once when my daughter was tiny. See the other problem I have is being discreet because she doesn't keep still whilst feeding. She is a very nosey baby and likes to look around and pull my nipple with her, aswell as pull my top all over the place haha. It is very difficult for me to public breastfeed, as everyone would get an eye full!!! I have never left my LO with anyone and I don't feel ready to leave her yet (abit too protective as she is our first girl out of 4 children and I don't know why but I can't bare the thought of anyone else having her ) Yes I would love some tips on public breastfeeding please

A 7 month old baby would typically be living on breastmilk. (or formula if breastmilk is not available.) Your child’s nursing pattern of about 10 times a day is entirely normal. Solids are primarily just for fun and learning until age one or so.

Getting comfortable nursing in public takes practice, basically, just getting out there and doing it. But it is typically WAY more convenient than bottles. I have an 11 month old and her brothers are much older, 7 & 9, and we are always having to run around for their sports and school and outings etc. Even though I nursed the boys as well, I had to get used to nip all over again with this one. I was pretty intimidated at first. But for a long time I have not even thought about it.

Here are some suggestions: Start somewhere you feel more or less comfortable and then build from there.
    Practice in front of a mirror
    Think about what you are afraid of showing, and experiment with clothing that covers you where you want while still providing access-for example, a nursing tank will keep you torso covered and if you layer a loose button up or even a T-shirt over it, you can lift/open the top shirt and open the tank at the breast and almost no skin shows.
    Teach your kids to stand in front of you as you get baby latched
    Try a burp cloth or something held in such a way to limit distractions coming into baby's eyeline, not over babies head as most babies cannot stand a blanket on their head
    Nursing covers and blankets over baby are often MORE obvious than nothing.
    Unless you are famous no one is going out of their way to look at you.
    Most people will not even know what you are doing, and fewer will care.
    Most people who do know will have the courtesy to avert their eyes.
    The few people who are insulted or outraged by public breastfeeding are ignorant busybodies.
    I do not know where you live but in many places your right to breastfeed in public is guaranteed by law.
    Nursing your child is nothing more or less than feeding your child and need not be hidden any more than bottle feeding need be hidden.
    Act natural and eventually it will feel natural.

If your child refuses a bottle and you cannot nip, you can try a sippy cup at this age maybe? But I suggest being very careful if you want to continue to nurse, because if baby is getting formula feedings and you are not pumping that is going to reduce your milk production, and you may be forced to wean to bottles or formula entirely.

Thankyou I shall practice infront of a mirror then. I am pretty good at being discreet anyway with my LO having 3 older brothers, it is just a confidence thing I need to work on. I live in the UK and I know over here it isn't against the law to pbf. I don't want my daughter to wean onto formula fully, if at all, but it would be handy if she could take breastmilk from a bottle once in a while. If I could get her to take bm from a sippy cup, how much is enough? as I know she wouldn't consume as much as latching. Thank you for making me feel abit better about the general public. I really don't want to give it up completely as I love breastfeeding her, but like I say I struggle with confidence so would like her to be able to take some bm from a bottle when I can't/or feel uncomfortable breastfeeding when i'm out.

10 feedings per day is totally normal at this age!

It seems to me that UK mums are a little more shy about nursing in public than we USA moms, who tend to be pretty shy to begin with! I don't know why that cultural divide seems to exist, or why the English-speaking people on both sides of the Atlantic have such a fear of public nursing. A holdover from buttoned-up Victorian days, perhaps? A legacy of the nanny and wet-nurse system? A result of the easy availability of formula and clean water to mix it with? All I can say is that shyness about NIP doesn't serve anyone well. If it were me, I'd walk around nursing in public just in the hopes that I'd set a good example for Kate Middleton.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Aww bless you Maybe you do have a point of it being in our British nature from history lol. I am going to give it a go at the local park when we take our children and take it from there as we are planning a trip to a large zoo in just over a week so I need to get practising as there will be no hiding places there haha. It is just my confidence that needs working on rather than the general public. Glad to hear 10 feedings per day is normal

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    If it were me, I'd walk around nursing in public just in the hopes that I'd set a good example for Kate Middleton.
    You make me laugh, mommal! This got me to googling to see whether Kate Middleton is, indeed, nursing. Apparently it's a matter of much public speculation! But a couple of sources describe this nursing dress as a sign that she IS breastfeeding: http://www.glamour.com/health-fitnes...eans-kate.html

Wouldn't you love it if SHE nurses in public? British (and non-British) women the world over would be so empowered!

zoelouise, you can do it!

Definatley!!!! it would inspire more British I think...as it is very rare to see a woman NIP these days where I live!! Oooooh I really want to give it a go, will have to be brave hehe