Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back to work pumping no milk!

Question Back to work pumping no milk!

I started back to work yesterday. I also got my first period on Tuesday. I have had no problems nursing my 13 week old until now. Yesterday I pumped 5 times for a total of ... 1 oz! I spoke to a lactation consultant who recommended I get a new pump (this one was also used for my 3 year old with no problems). So I got a new medela instyle. Today I pumped and pumped and power pumped ( I have an office thank God) and still only 2 oz.

I have been taking fenugreek. I don't see any letdown when I pump. I listened to a guided meditation, looked at video of the baby and still nothing! I am home now and she is nursing with no complaints. I don't know what to do. I feel like I am simply unable to pump.

Default Re: Back to work pumping no milk!

How does pumping feel? Any chance you might need a different size flange? What does your nipple look like in the tube?

If tweaking your current pump doesn't work, have you considered renting a hospital grade pump? Some women seem to require them in order to pump effectively.

If you're not getting a letdown with the pump, that's obviously going to have a huge impact on how much you can express.

Was this the first time you'd used the pump with this baby? It may just be a matter of getting used to it again.

Relaxation techniques help some moms with letdown, others do better with complete distraction. Could you try reading a good book or watching a video?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I second the recommendation for distraction. Whenever my supply dips, it takes a greater hit when I compulsively check the output or think about the letdown. I usually pop on to this forum board while I pump to read/respond because it helps me to not stress about the output. I swear that the more I look and believe I am not making enough for my baby, the less I make. Try covering yourself while pumping and resist the urge to peek until the end if 20 min.

When you nurse your baby, can you feel the letdown then? The letdown I get with pumping is not as strong as what I feel when I am actually feeding or about to feed baby.

I am working while I am pumping so I am pretty distracted. When I nurse I feel the letdown, but not when I pump. The flange does look pretty "full." It is 27 size (which is what I used with my first baby). I have pumped with this baby, but not very often, and not since early on. I just ordered the larger size flange online. Hopefully by the time it gets here I still have some milk left. ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lila.leo View Post
    I am working while I am pumping so I am pretty distracted. When I nurse I feel the letdown, but not when I pump. The flange does look pretty "full." It is 27 size (which is what I used with my first baby). I have pumped with this baby, but not very often, and not since early on. I just ordered the larger size flange online. Hopefully by the time it gets here I still have some milk left. ugh!
    How are you with hand expression? I know it can be time (and labor) intensive, but maybe you could try hand expressing until you get a let-down and then pumping once the milk gets going? Or just using hand expression to help empty the breasts a little until you get your new flanges?

Also even though your pump is new, it's not impossible that it could have a mechanical problem of some sort. Might be worth getting your pump checked out. The suggestion to try renting a hospital grade pump and seeing if that makes a difference is a good one. You can get them for as little as $30/month. That's not a terribly big investment to make, if it ultimately supports your continued breastfeeding ...