Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trying to stop supplementing

Default Trying to stop supplementing

I have a question about getting back to exclusively BFing.

When my daughter was born, I had no trouble BFing whatsoever. No pain, no supply issues,no latch issues. When she was a few weeks old we both got thrush. It was painful to nurse or pump, for both of us I think. Still, I didn't feel like I had supply issues. At about 2 months we went to the ped and I was told that she was not gaining weight correctly and since she was experiencing reflux symptoms that I should supplement some of every feeding with enfamil AR. So I started that and my supply went down WAAAY fast. I tried stopping the formula but nothing seemed to get my supply up. My daughter is now 6 months old and still breastfeeds but not nearly enough. Her attention at the breast is very limited and she constantly pulls off to look around which makes it really hard to empty my breast and know when she is done. I do pump but probably not enough either. I know I need to more, but it is hard with an active 6 month old. She already sits, crawls and stands up on her own. I am currently taking domperidone, fenugreek, more milk plus, and drink the yogi tea. I was just wondering if there are other things I should be doing. Should I have her sleep with me instead of in her own bed? Should I nap with her when she naps to get skin on skin? How many times a day should I be nursing and pumping? Should I pump right after each feeding or separately from feedings? Should I stop the 3 bottles she is now getting cold turkey or wean her slowly? I really need some encouragement and advice. Thanks
    Everleigh Alice 12/23/12 <3

Default Re: Trying to stop supplementing

You should be nursing or pumping 10-12 times a day at least. The galactagogues you're taking can help but they won't make enough of a difference if milk isn't bring removed often enough. Co-sleeping at night and for naps is a fantastic idea, especially for a baby that is distracted easily during the day. Night time nursing is very important for maintaining supply. How many times a night does she nurse now and do you pump? Laying down in a quiet dark room, taking a bath together, or going outside always made ds want to nurse more during the day. Weaning from supplements should be done gradually. Here's a link: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/

Hi jaime.patterson. Can you Pump OR Nurse at least 10 times a day? Does that seem possible for you?

Also is weight gain now good? Everyone agree baby is healthy and growing normally? or do you still have a concerned pediatrician?

it is the frequency of milk removal that is most important for increasing milk production, so shorter but more frequent pumping sessions may be more effective than long, less frequent ones. Also, pump when it works FOR YOU. After a nursing session is fine, but I would suggest do not end a nursing session 'early' in order to pump. Encourage baby to nurse for comfort as well as nutrition.

I would not suggest going cold turkey off the bottles, because you are not sure you have enough production. These are formula, or your expressed milk? If it’s formula you may have to move more slowly. If it is expressed milk in an amount you are already pumping, then maybe you can go more quickly. In either case, you can try reducing how much is in each bottle and eliminate the supplements slowly and gradually as baby increases nursing that way.

have you started introducing solids yet? Are you wanting too? I wonder if it might be best to hold off just a little longer on solids while you work on milk production. What do you think?

Okay so my LLLID wasn't working fora while for some reason but I got it figured out.

To answer the questions:

1. Her weight gain has now been fine. She is in the 50th percentile as of her 6 month checkup. She is 7 months today.
    2. As for pumping and breastfeeding 10 times per day...we are currently doing this as much as possible.
    3. We switched to nursing her more often rather than pumping for her more often. It seems to be helping. Instead I only pump in the evening. This has been easier on me since my husband is home.
    4. The bottles are formula. Also...she is currently down to ONE 6 oz bottle before bed since I wrote this post. Weaning is working and going good.
    5. We have started solids, only because she was totally ready. She wants everything we eat so when she is awake while we eat, we give her some. But she doesn't take in that many solids.

As for today and yesterday I have had A LOT less milk than usual. She has still been breastfeeding but she unlatches and cries every time. I believe it's because I'm ovulating according to my period tracker. This seems to happen every month. We should be back to normal tomorrow or the next day. I am really Grateful for the support of this board. Thank you so much for the concerns and advice.
    Everleigh Alice 12/23/12 <3