Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going tubing for @ 5 hours- Pump suggestions?

Default Going tubing for @ 5 hours- Pump suggestions?

Hi,
    I am going on a day trip tubing for my friends birthday. My dd is 18 months old and still breastfeeding full time along with her food intake. I have used a Medela PIS for pumping during a full time job which recently switched to 3 days a week.
    I have never used anything other than my PIS and I cannot take this on the tube with me. I am hoping to bring a small pump to at least relieve any pressure as needed. We plan to stop about half way through for lunch so I figured that might be a good time. I'm wondering if the Evenflow Battery operated pump is a good choice (I'll keep it in a watertight bag, or if I should go for the Medela manual pump. I already have the Evenflow, but I have no idea if I will respond well to it. I was going to try it out, but won't be able to return it so I thought I'd ask here first.
    Thanks!
    PS- The 5 hours is a complete estimate. Years ago we went on one they told us would be 2-4 hours and it ended up being 8 hours. So I don't want to be caught without something.
    Last edited by @llli*m11612; July 24th, 2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Added info

Default Re: Going tubing for @ 5 hours- Pump suggestions?

Can u just hand-express?

Haven't been very successful with that.

On the days you are working, do you pump? Many moms who are working and breastfeeding toddlers go all day without pumping.... The other thought I have is, do you have the yellow piston thing (here's a link to a picture in case you don't know what I mean...) http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Lactina.../dp/B003F0UH0A. You can hook that up to the flange/valve/membrane (the second set of threads opposite the flange) and use it as a hand pump. I've done that when I didn't want to lug my whole PISA somewhere, worked fine. Even if you have to buy the piston, it may be cheaper than getting a new hand pump (not sure how much the Evenflow costs).

I have the medela manual pump and love it for on the go relief. I am very responsive to pumping so that may make a difference as I know some people are not able to pump with it. I would bring that with me for this type of situation and not risk water damage to the electric pump. If you have trouble with hand expression I do not know what that means for how a manual pump will work.
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

I never could hand express either. A hand pump would be your best bet IMO, though it seems a shame to invest in one at this point, with your baby being 18 months. You probably would never need it for anything else. But if you're going to invest in something one way or the other, I'd go with the less expensive option. I had an Avent Isis manual pump that I used the entire time I was pumping for my daughter and it worked great and was very comfortable. It has a soft silicone shield that was actually more comfy than my electric pump, which is why I used it. I believe it was only around $40 at the time, though that was 6 years ago.

Although honestly I think if I were you I might just take the chance and see what happens. Worst case scenario you can't hand express anything and you get super full and uncomfortable by the end of the day and baby gets a full belly when you get home. I don't think one day will hurt your supply at all and unless you've had a lot of problems with plugged ducts in the past, that shouldn't be an issue either. I went on an overnight canoe trip when my daughter was 19 mos and thought I could go the whole time without pumping (I'd stopped pumping at work by then but she nursed all night and frequently on weekends). Bad idea. I was in PAIN by the end of the second day. But I nursed her when I got home (had to pump one side because she got so full) and everything went back to normal after that.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks.
    Yeah I haven't gone a full day without pumping since she doesn't drink cow's milk (yet). I'm always trying to make sure she has enough supply at home. When I have gone a bit longer than my usual due to a meeting I do become uncomfortable. Great idea about the piston, but I can't find the one I got at the hospital.
    Overall, I am concerned that I won't respond to a manual pump or that it will take forever to get a let-down. It is good to know that the medela manual pump works well for you elliemommy. Do you use the "2-part expression technology"? I seem to need that first part of the medela suction cycle to get letdown with my PIS. Does the manual actually provide something similar?

If you respond to an electric pump there should be no reason to think you wouldn't respond to a manual. Their action at the breast is pretty much the same, it's just the mechanism of power behind it that is different. You'd want to pump rapidly when you first start, to encourage let down, then slow your speed once the milk starts flowing.

Just to throw this out there, it may be info you already know, but if your baby is over one and still nurses at least 3-5 times a day she doesn't need any alternative milk to replace breast milk while you are gone. She will do fine on solids and water and then nursing when you are together. That said, many moms choose to continue to provide breast milk after the age of one. I'm not saying you should stop or anything. I just wanted to make sure you were aware since many other moms look forward to 'hanging up their horns' once baby turns one.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thank you for the reminder about meeting her requirements by nursing 3-5 times per day. I'll keep that in mind as we decide when/if to introduce other form of milk. Also a good thing to remember when I go out for a short time. It is hard to shift thinking from being obsessed with pumping enough to leave behind.
    Yeah, pumping is a pain, but I like knowing I'm still providing for her while I'm gone. Also, I'll be a stay at home Mom in a month so I might as well stick it out.
    My DD asks for Mama's milk when I'm gone. It would be sad to say no to that. I think it comforts her. She is 18 months, but a full time nurser. She nurses much more than 3-5 times a day when I'm home. Most of those sessions include at least one full let-down.
    I might go for a manual to bring just in case. I don't plan on keeping any milk I might pump while on the river so I don't even have to open it unless I'm in a jam. I'll look in to the piston thing. That might be my best bet. I don't mind buying one since I have no plans to stop breastfeeing anytime soon and I hope to have another child in the future so I could use it with them if needed.

Since it is just one day, and you are going to be IN water, I would suggest a cheap manual pump which would be light and not really any problem with it getting wet. A manual plus some hand expression should take care of you just to ward off engorgement. I doubt you would need anything at all for only 5 hours but I know how these kind of trips can get really long and you don't want to be in pain.