Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trouble with Pumping Letdowns

Default Trouble with Pumping Letdowns

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently experiencing trouble with pumping. My LO is almost 7 months old, and I have been pumping at work for the past 4 months twice a day. It seems that I get used to a pump and get desensitized to the point that I have extreme trouble with letdowns. My LO sucks pretty hard and it's what I'm used to.

I've always pumped at the highest suction possible as this setting was still comfortable for me. Two months into pumping using a hospital grade double electric, I started having trouble pumping. I had the pump checked out and it was fine. I went up to the next larger flange size, and this didn't really help. The only thing that helped was switching to a Medela Pump In Style as it was a different with the let down button feature and slow setting.

Since switching pumps, things have been fine up until recently. I'm having the same problems again where pumping doesn't seem to be registering and I'm not letting down. I'm pretty relaxed when I pump so that's not the problem. I feel that I have gotten used to the pump. I try breast compressions to no avail.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Any ideas on how to switch things up to improve let down?

Default Re: Trouble with Pumping Letdowns

Some moms recommend changing the little white membranes on the PIS at least every couple months. That's a pretty simple thing to try - maybe there is a small decrease in suction due to membranes wearing down that is contributing to this. Otherwise, maybe try going back to the hospital-grade for a month or two?