Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Freezing

Default Freezing

Just wanted to run this by the experts.

As baby takes the breast more and I continue pumping round the clock I have developed a bit of an excess supply and need to start freezing.

Since I don't get six ozs at a time can I pump, pour into 6 oz freezer bag in fridge, add to it as necessary to fill it up, then stick it in the freezer? It would probably require two or three sessions so about six hours max.

Then, when I need to use it, thaw in fridge and take as needed? I mean I doubt baby will eat six ozs a session. How long can thawed, previously frozen milk stay in the fridge?

Thanks.
    Last edited by @llli*apifera; July 23rd, 2013 at 11:01 AM.

Default Re: Freezing

Yep. You sure can. Thawed milk can be used for up to 24 hours after it has been thawed. Are you going to be working or expect to be away from your baby for large chunks of time? I would be worried about being able to use up 6 ounces if it was just for an occasional evening out.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

No I don't plan to be away from him but I'm pumping to keep my supply up while transitioning to breastfeeding since he only recently started latching, and I'd hate to just toss the milk.

Not really sure how much I need to pump at this point, really. Still very new to actually being able to have him latch. But I feel like he's not super efficient at it yet.

Hi, my hospital gave me guidelines on freezing and I've followed them and they've worked very well. Essentially, just freeze in 2 ounce and 4 ounce portions. My babies don't take more than 4 ounces per feeding in a bottle so if we take from the freezer it equals one feed (either 2 2 ounces or 1 four ounces.) If you freeze in larger quantities, yes, you can keep the milk in the fridge for 24 hours but after that it's not good, so smaller quantities are best.

I would definitely freeze smaller portions. You'll go through more storage bags, but you won't have to worry about any waste. I personally do not freeze anything over 3 ounce portions. I figure, you can always go thaw more milk if needed.

Thanks ladies. Good idea, re serving sizes. I have already frozen two 4oz bags today, but I think I'll cut them down to two ozs. My LC says I've been overfeeding baby a bit so I'm a terrible judge of how much he'll need.
    Last edited by @llli*apifera; July 23rd, 2013 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks ladies. Good idea, re serving sizes. I have already frozen two 4oz bags today, but I think I'll cut them down to two ozs. My LC says I've been overfeeding baby a bit so I'm a terrible judge of how much he'll need.

i usually froze in 4 oz, and that was what DS took, but you can also do most of them in 4 oz and then some in 2 oz or even 1 oz so that you can thaw a "top off".
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.