Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help and confused

Unhappy Need help and confused

Today I bought a pump and started pumping for my 4 week old daughter mainly to make outings more easy (I mainly Exclusively Breastfeed). However, I pumped for 20 minutes and maybe got only an ounce and a half. I was wondering if this is normal or not. It makes me wonder if my little girl is getting enough to eat from my EBF. She seems satisfied after a feeding and she has normal poops and pees but she isn't due for another well check-up until the 30th and I won't be put at ease until I see that her weight is going up.

Default Re: Need help and confused

I know different moms respond to pumps differently, and our babies are way more efficient than pumps, so it's not a good idea to judge your milk supply based on pumping production. I think too many moms get freaked out by the numbers when they start pumping, though they have no supply issues at all. The weight check will definitely be reassuring... in the meantime, does your baby have lots of wet and poopy diapers? All that output has to come from some kind of input! As long as the diapers are plentiful and the weight proves to be fine, maybe just think of the pumped ounces as your "pumping output" number, not your "milk supply" number. I can tend to get overly obsessed with numbers and things, which isn't always helpful in breadtfeeding, so personally I find it healthiest to not pump, not schedule, just give my baby my breast anytime, anywhere, as often as he wants, and trust my body's milk making system to work in accordance with his demands. It takes SO much of that pressure off. (I know lots of moms have to pump for work though, so I'm fortunate to be able to do this.) Anyways, all that to say, your body is marvelous and your baby knows exactly what she needs, so don't stress as long as the diapers and weight gains are good and no one's in pain. Any reason you don't like nursing while out?
    Last edited by @llli*reading.mom; July 24th, 2013 at 05:38 PM.

I know different moms respond to pumps differently, and our babies are way more efficient than pumps, so it's not a good idea to judge your milk supply based on pumping production. I think too many moms get freaked out by the numbers when they start pumping, though they have no supply issues at all. The weight check will definitely be reassuring... in the meantime, does your baby have lots of wet and poopy diapers? All that output has to come from some kind of input! As long as the diapers are plentiful and the weight proves to be fine, maybe just think of the pumped ounces as your "pumping output" number, not your "milk supply" number. I can tend to get overly obsessed with numbers and things, which isn't always helpful in breadtfeeding, so personally I find it healthiest to not pump, not schedule, just give my baby my breast anytime, anywhere, as often as he wants, and trust my body's milk making system to work in accordance with his demands. It takes SO much of that pressure off. (I know lots of moms have to pump for work though, so I'm fortunate to be able to do this.) Anyways, all that to say, your body is marvelous and your baby knows exactly what she needs, so don't stress as long as the diapers and weight gains are good and no one's in pain. Any reason you don't like nursing while out?

whoops, sorry for the double post! not sure where that came from!

Hi desi2. It is perfectly normal to pump an ounce and a half (or less, or more) at a time. I agree with readingmom, this is one of the big pitfalls of pumps-that it can cause moms (who otherwise were feeling confident) that there is a problem with their milk production when there really is not.

why is 1.5 ounces normal? because that is a normal feeding at the breast. When a baby nurses, baby may take anything from ZERO to 3-4 ounces at this age. Of course if a baby is always taking very small amounts that is a problem, but my point is feeding amounts varies tremendously sesion to session.

Also, this 1.5 ounces represents EXTRA milk, because your baby is exclusively nursing.

Also, as pp points out, some mothers do not produce all that well for a pump. It often takes practice to get milk out when pumping. Pumps extract milk from the breast completely differently than a baby does.

For all these reasons, pump output is a very inaccurate measurement of milk production.

If babies generally needed to be weighed more often to make sure all was well, weight checks would be scheduled closer together. But this is not (typically) needed. In fact, as it is, in the US, babies typically are weighed much more frequently than in many other countries.

Has baby ever had a weight check since birth? At 2 weeks maybe? Was weight gain ok then?

Is baby pooping a 'scoopable' poop about the size of a quarter or larger, 3 or more times a day? (not just streaks?)

Is baby nursing at least 10 times a day?

If so, These are all good indications your baby is fine. If you still have doubts, you can always go in to your doctor and have baby weighed again. Be sure all weight checks are on the same scale if possible.

Please let us know if you would like information on nursing in public. One of the great benefits of breastfeeding is the convenience of NOT needing to lug bottles of milk or formula wherever you go.

Perfectly normal amount to pump, especially when you are pumping *in addition* to nursing rather than pumping *instead* of nursing.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous