Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back to work (new job), no more pumping?

Default Back to work (new job), no more pumping?

Well, I have breastfed my baby boy for 11 1/2 months! I could not have made it this far without La Leche League! Thank you!

In June, I resigned from my previous job so that I could start a new career in teaching. Baby boy has been out of daycare and with me ever since. I am starting my new job in August and we are putting BB back in daycare around mid-August. I have a lot of concerns:

We are hitting the 12-month mark soon, so I am trying to figure out how to transition from BF to whole milk. He is not nursing as much anymore--we might get 3 to 4 nursing sessions during the day. But he definitely depends on the night nursings and the nursings when he first wakes up. So I've been thinking of transitioning to whole milk feedings during the day, and continuing to give him the early morning/night nursings. I've thought about weaning him by this time, but I think he really needs those two nursings, especially because I'm starting a new job, new routine, and he will be back in daycare. How does one transition from breastmilk to whole milk smoothly? What are your thoughts about hitting the 12-month mark and still nursing? (I know I'm going to get some criticism for this from my family, but oh well!)

Which brings me to my next concern: when I do start working, I really don't want to have to pump at work. This will increase my milk supply, when it has already dropped, and I'm at the point where I do not want to pump anymore. Since my supply is already low, I wanted to ask you all, how do I maintain my milk supply so that I only do the two feedings (early morning and night) without having to wean him completely? I had mastitis back when he was three months-old and I'm a little terrified of getting it again if I don't pump at work.

Your words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Back to work (new job), no more pumping?

Hi mama, that's great that you have been breastfeeding for 11 1/2 months!

Many mothers who work outside the home full-time pump wean at a year. So it should be perfectly fine for you not to pump when you go back to work. However, you might want to have a pump on hand or be prepared to hand-express when you first go back, just in case you do start feeling full in the transition. But you shouldn't need to pump on a regular basis. Supply is so well-regulated at this point, you should continue to make whatever baby needs, whether that's two feedings a day or ten.

Absolutely agree that it will be great for you and baby if you continue nursing beyond a year! Yes, with the new job and new routine, it is such a nice way to reconnect with baby at the end of the day. And continues to provide such wonderful nutrition for him. Definitely nobody around here who will tell you that you shouldn't! There's a "Dealing with Criticism" forum here if people (like your family) give you a hard time and you want to get some ideas for dealing with that. Personally I'm a full-time working mom and I love nursing my toddler! She's 16 months old now.

If you continue nursing 3-4 times per 24 hours, baby does not necessarily need additional dairy during the day, though it's fine to give it. If it's only going to be 2 feedings, then yes, you probably do need some additional dairy, and I think your idea of transitioning to cow's milk feeding during the day is just fine.

Sounds like you're doing great!

Thank you very much for your words of encouragement!

Your advice is so helpful! That is a good idea to keep my pump on hand, just in case. I might just stock up on some breast milk, and freeze it for his return back to school. This might help with the transition as well.

Thanks again!

[QUOTE=@llli*amor.maternal;1319492I might just stock up on some breast milk, and freeze it for his return back to school. This might help with the transition as well.[/QUOTE]

I think that's a good idea, if it's not too much trouble. I can imagine that LO might find it comforting to at least have the "taste" of mommy!