Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Re-establishing Milk Supply to 25 weeker

Default Re-establishing Milk Supply to 25 weeker

My baby was born at 25 weeks and has been on an OG tube with donor BM since week 2. He's now 12 weeks old (38 weeks gestation) and I'm finally allowed to put him to breast but I've already dried up. I'm attempting to pump every 2 hours (giving myself a 5-6 hour break at night to sleep) and finally put him to my breast last night for the first time. He suckled on my nipple for a few minutes before falling asleep and refusing to wake up to be switched to the other boob. I've heard its possible to relactate and I simply wanted to know if there's anything in particular I should do to help the process. I have fenugreek and I've also purchased Mothers Milk Tea (although I'm slightly allergic to the blessed thistle - gives me sniffles). Any advice is appreciative.

Default Re: Re-establishing Milk Supply to 25 weeker

Welcome to the forum!

The absolute best thing you can do to get supply back is to remove milk from the breast frequently and completely. In your case, this means pumping frequently using a high-quality pump, especially right now as your baby works to get the whole latching on/sucking thing figured out. I really encourage you to use a hospital-grade rental pump (or a good double electric, minimum) and to pump as many times a day as possible, for about 15-20 minutes at a time. Ideally you'd shoot for 8-12 times a day, but that's not always possible, particularly if you're caring for a newborn baby, so do what you can!

Herbs and supply-boosting drugs are good, don't get me wrong. But none of them will do you half as much good as pumping.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have access to two high quality pumps - one I use at home, and the Medela Symphony I use at the NICU. I'll increase the amount of pumping sessions since my little one is still being cared for by 24 hour nurses. I was pumping when he was born and I was only able to get a few drops out and it seemed to get less and less as the weeks went on. My obgyn told me I dried up - which I didn't want to believe but did so I stopped pumping. A month later and some heavy research I'm ready to try again out of spite, and for the benefit of my baby since we don't want him on formula if we can avoid it (he's on donor milk now). I felt I had great success with milk cookies that were gifted to me, but wayyyy too expensive to buy premade. So I was hoping to get results with nipple stimulation from the baby, pumping in between, and taking milk producing supplements. The doctors don't want the baby to 'officially nurse' because it burns too many calories and he needs to save them and gain weight - they also say it might cause him to dump the donor breast milk he gets (he has a high colostomy and is awaiting reconnection surgery). So *hopefully* with some dedication I can get a supply going that I can help him with some BM. (and make some of my own milk cookies).

Argh, I'm annoyed at your ob! "Drying up" is not an irreversible process. Milk supply is like a garden- tend it, by nursing or pumping frequently, and it will flourish. Neglect it, by not nursing/pumping enough, and it will wither.

Are you on any form of hormonal contraception? That can impact supply in some moms.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"