Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fight at the breast

Unhappy Fight at the breast

My son is only 19 days old. Since his birth every feeding (8-10 times a day) is a nightmare at least the beginning of it. He is fighting with my breast. He somtimes screams, cries most of the time. This can go on from 30 seconds to 10 minutes. After his fight ends he finishes with my breast without any problem and then falls asleep. I nursed him just few minutes ago and it took 25 minutes for him to end his fight. I'm using nipple cover to feed him as he has never got directly my nipple.

Default Re: Fight at the breast

This is a phase. I can remember sore nipples, trying to latch correctly, and fight back flailing hands with sharp claws. Soon your baby will settle down and realize what's going on. These things helped us; skin to skin contact before nursing, listening to soothing music(helped me and baby relax),having Dad's help with tiny hands when possible. It will get better! Hang in there!

My First baby had problems as I have Overactive Letdown and Oversupply issues. He would be "fighting" because there was so much milk spraying all the way to the back of his throat that he'd cough and choke a little and be soaked. I'm not sure how a nipple shield would impact that, but maybe you should check out OALD (Overactive Letdown) and Oversupplly in the search function in the forum and in the regular part of this website to see if you have any of those symptoms...there are ways to deal with it and it doesn't have to be a fight everytime.

Need to add that if you do have OALD, the "flailing baby hands" can be a sign that baby is getting too much milk shot right down his throat all at once, so don't try to hold his hands down or restrain him...he would be trying not to choke in that instance, and it would be natural for him to be moving all around...sometimes trying to get away from the milk for a sec. so he can breathe and try again since he can't sit up and get away from the milk spray when you're holding him in a nursing position.

This is not to say that OALD is your problem, It just doesn't seem like a good idea to restrain baby's hands when you don't know why he's flailing them...forcing him to remain still and nurse could hurt him if the milk is spraying right down his throat and he can't keep up with it...it would probably be hard for him to breathe... you wouldn't want to drown him.

There are other ways to help OALD, like nursing laying down...or with baby on top of you while you're laying down, so check those out on this website if you think that may be your problem.

If you can get the flow started you may want to hold a cloth diaper under/over your breast for several minutes until it slows down. Then it should be easier to latch and not have the milk coming so fast. In time your breasts and your baby will adjust.