Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: thrush

Default thrush

so baby and I have thrush. I am sterilizing everything and have a prescription for Nystatin and just got some gentian violet (haven't started it yet though). I was doing some research and Dr. Sears website says I should dump any milk Ive pumped during an active case of thrush...say it ain't so!!!!!

Default Re: thrush

Yeah, unfortunately freezing doesn't kill the yeast and you risk reinfection if you use it once the infection is cleared. I was sad too when I found that out, I had to throw a bunch out

Good luck getting rid of the thrush though!

Ok, so I've done a bit more research and I can still give her freshly pumped thrush milk while we're being treated, just don't freeze it for later. Soooo....how do I know "when" I came down with it? Ie...how far back do I go in my frozen stash to throw our. I discovered it Monday and got nystatin on Monday? I didn't pump all weekend, but did Friday.

When did you notice symptoms? Were you in pain on Friday? I think that's probably the way to go in terms of knowing how far back to go.

Sorry I wasn't more clear in my first post - yes, you're ok to use fresh milk that you've pumped. I just assumed for some reason that you meant your freezer stash!

Well, I am only just now noticing the pain, but it was Monday when I saw the thrush in LO's mouth and her refusal to nurse. Though I'm not sure how long it's been there. I did note a mild pain Sun night in my breast after nursing, but though it was a fluke. Just wondering how long it is active before it flares up.

Do I need to sterilize the tubing on my pump?