Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Growth Spurt

Default Growth Spurt

I have a 3 1/2 week old daughter which I've been breastfeeding since she was born. We complimented with formula the first 4 days because she was little (5lbs) due to an early labor. She has been going through a "growth spurt" for almost a week now, which doesn't leave me much time for anything besides breast feed her. But what worries me is that she is starting to eat for 5 to 7 minutes, when she used to do 15-20minutes. Then she gets all fussy and wants to eat again, or at least thats what I think so. So instead of eating every 2 hrs or every 1 hr or even every 45 min, she is like constantly eating: eats-fuss-eats-seems like is falling asleep-fuss-eats, etc, and sometimes this can happen for over 2 hours in a row, making my nipples really sore, right when they were getting to the point it was no painful anymore. This is really frustrating and is making me want to throw the towel. I don't feel like I'm enjoying breastfeeding and she probably feels that from me. And it makes me feel like a terrible mother. I just want to know if its normal, or if she is disliking my milk or if she is actually getting nourished. She seems to be gaining weight and has wet and soiled diapers all the time. But why is she getting so fussy and uneasy?
    Also she doesn't seem to fall asleep if is not in my arms, like if I put her on her crib or bassinet she wakes up. Is that normal or ok? Its just really hard then to "sleeps when she sleeps", and i'm super tired by night.
    Last edited by @llli*GabyGabs; July 23rd, 2013 at 08:04 AM.

Default Re: Growth Spurt

I imagine that it is a growth spurt. My first daughter was like that from birth to about 8 or 9 weeks. I learned how to nurse her laying down - which was a life-saver! I could sleep while she nursed. Also, I camped out on the couch with her on the boppy while she nursed/slept/nursed and I watched TV.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks! I tried the laying down nursing this morning, it wasn't as weird as I thought. i'll try it more during the afternoon to see if I can sleep a little.

I felt a bit like a mama cat or something the first few times I nursed laying down and Lilah used a nipple shield, which was a huge PITA! But, it was so wonderful to just sleep through her 45 minute per side feedings. And the difference in nursing her while I slept at night instead of going and sitting in the rocking chair down the hall was priceless.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months