Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: tongue and lip ties released

Default tongue and lip ties released

Just had DDs tongue and lip ties clipped this morning. She's almost 8 weeks. She nursed pretty normally at the doctor's office and a couple hours later at home. Later, though, after another nap, she woke up screaming and was nearly inconsolable. Things that always comforted her like nursing (refused it completely, kicking and screaming), a pacifier, or sucking on my finger didn't work. We ended up giving her some Tylenol in case she was in pain even though the dentist didn't mention anything about there being pain afterwards, and then we were finally able to get her to sleep (after nursing for just a few minutes). Wondering if this behavior is normal or if it's a coincidence and something else is bothering her. Would love to hear your LOs' experiences with this procedure.

Thanks!

Default Re: tongue and lip ties released

I have heard that it's fairly common after releases for babies to not want to nurse. I think you're on the right track in terms of using the Tylenol as needed, and continue to offer. If she won't nurse, you might want to pump to maintain your supply/give to her in a cup or a syringe until she's willing to nurse again. Here's a good link for getting baby back to breast - some of them might be useful to you http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Default Re: tongue and lip ties released

Thanks. In the end, it seems it was more gas related than mouth related, maybe from so much crying earlier in the day due to the procedure. Probably a combination of both.