Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stressed with Breastfeeding an almost 8 monther!!!

Default Stressed with Breastfeeding an almost 8 monther!!!

Can someone counsel me on the right thing to do?

DS is almost 8 months old. He's a happy boy, meeting all of his milestones, etc. He's also so SUPER distracted at feedings that he would rather forego a nursing session to explore the world. This would be fine if he weren't such a peanut (he is 17 pounds at almost 8 mo) and if he wasn't trying to make up for the missed daytime nursings with a series of constant night-time nursing. (I work full time and being up all night can't happen.)

I am confused and stressed about what to do. The lack of daytime nursing when he wakes up, when I get home, and on weekends has sent my supply into dangerously low territory. Of course he still wants a bottle when I am at work; for some reason bottles are OK, where the breast is a nuisance that stands between him and something fun. But I am barely able to produce enough to get him through the day when I am working.

I've tried all of the remedies for distractability - dark, quiet room, etc. None of that has helped. Should I stop trying to breastfeed on the weekends and evenings and just pump instead so I can give him a bottle? I am concerned that his weight will suffer if he continues to forego the feedings at the breast and the more my supply tanks due to his lack of nursing, the more stressed I am feeling.

I know the bottle probably isn't the right answer, but it's the only solution I've come up with that gets him to eat, which in turn makes me a little less anxious. But I also know that, long term, it will ruin our breastfeeding relationship. So I need some words of wisdom.

Default Re: Stressed with Breastfeeding an almost 8 monther!!!

hi there.

its normal for the distraction from your little guy. and it sounds like you really do understand that and how the overall relationship works. i am sure you are tired and frustrated.

for me i found that it was really important for me to set up a calm and soothing place for us to nurse not only for my little one but for me. dont give up on creating a calm space. i wouldnt expect him just to calm down right away or everytime. i had a chair i really liked, a dim light, nat king cole on my phone, etc.

and i think you would be surprised at how much he can get very quickly, hes older and better at nursing fast!!

nurse as often as you can when you are together, even if they are lots of short sessions. just try to get in a couple of nice long ones if you can, like before a nap etc.

work to keep your supply up at work with good pumping technique, and just nurse whenever you can when together.

just around that age my son started bringing a little toy to nurse. like i would say its time to nurse do you want to bring your dinosaur. so he had a little something while nursing,

keep it up mama. dont bring the pump into your home nursing sessions, it sounds easier but really it complicates it. this is just a phase, it will pass.

**ETA: just wanted to add that cosleeping eases a lot, gives you so much more sleep and the baby can nurse throughout the night without you really waking. not sure if you are interested just wanted to throw it out there.
    Last edited by @llli*mtmama; July 22nd, 2013 at 07:31 PM.

Have you tried cosleeping? That really took the pressure off for me when I was pumping for my girls.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

wow! This sounds a lot like my 9mo old! I have to nurse him in a specific location otherwise he pops on and off and gets distracted. I found that having a specific Nursing Chair in his room next to his bed really helped him to realize it's feeding time. However, even then he will still pop off after a few minutes (depends on how hungry he is), push up to sitting position and grab the nearest item (dresser handles or blanket hanging over crib rails or his toes). So, I let him play for a while and then make a "1-2-3 wheee" kind of game out of lying back down into my arms to finish eating. I've found that if I force him, he fights it. So I just let him have a small amount of 'play' time in my lap before we get back to business.

Also, I bought a cute handmade nursing necklace off Etsy. It doesn't always work, but he can eat and play with it to keep his hands busy. Also, I will tickle him under his neck and get him to laugh and giggle. He tends to shy away from the tickling and will subsequently settle right back in and eat after a quick laugh or two. But when it's clear to me that he rather be exploring and not interested in feeding, I just let him do his thing and try to remember that he'll eat when he's hungry. (Depending on how full i am or how long since he had a good solid meal, i may even pump -- just a bit -- to help trick my body into thinking he ate and keep my supply up; i freeze it though and don't bottle feed at all when we are home).

I also work full time and leave the house by 7am. I learned that I need to wake him up to eat his first meal of the morning before i start getting ready - so i'm waking him up at like 5:30 am and getting a good dreamy-sleepy-feeding in his belly. I've found that once he's awake on his own (around 6:30) he just doesn't want to eat and would much rather play.

i am not sure these are words of wisdom but just sharing what has worked for me. you are not alone!! Good luck!!!

I can try co-sleeping again. DS is an early crawler so I felt safer with him in a crib once he started moving all over. But my drop in supply did tie to his move into his own crib. So I can go back to co sleeping to see if it helps.

I don't want to have to supplement with formula during the day. If I get the nighttime production up, will it also help the daytime production for when I pump at work?

yes and in general the baby will nurse more that way. my little guy was nursing so much at night i felt better. i knew he was getting what a lot of what he needed then so i didnt worry about the day intake.

do you want some general tips for increasing pumping production?

i may not be back tonight so here you go in case you need it:

time can be limiting when it comes to pumping at work, but do your best to get the extra sessions in. it is best to pump, even if you can only get 5 min in, do it. dont push it off, it will help your overall production even if you dont get much at that session.

when you can, add in a min of hand expression at the end of each pumping session, again it is another great way of increasing overall production. practice and watch this video of you need : http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

try to nurse nurse nurse when you can.

do compressions on your breasts while you pump.

can you leave your pump set up? i would just rinse with water the top pieces and leave the rest all set up. sometimes i wouldnt even wash before the next pump if i couldnt. that is ok

compressions while you pump

relaxing music

hands free bra

make sure the horns are the correct size. i bought a large set and it helped a lot

add in a session in your commute on the way in and on the way home, use a hand held bra and the battery pack. i used to just use a baby blanket as a cover.

pump before bed to add in a quick session

try not to stress, even though that is extremely hard it is important. i used to try to take deep relaxing breaths when pumping and listen to music

remember you are doing great