Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Upper Lip tie

Default Upper Lip tie

Hi ladies me again.

Baby has upper lips which turn inwards when he sucks on a bottle paci or my nipple. He falls off easily and the LC we've been seeing (who is on vacation) diagnosed him with tongue and suck issues, and prescribed us with exercises.

I was reading online about issues related to his trouble at feedings with the bottle- and came across what is called an upper lip tie.... after reading the "symptoms" I discovered he has all of them, and that he does appear to have one... the line that tightly ties his upper lip to his gum is thick and goes all the way down his gums, between where his upper teeth will be and anchors very strongly behind his gumline on the palate.

From what I understand this can cause latching issues (which is our issue) but I can't ascertain whether or not it makes BFing impossible.

Further, I read that it's hard to find a doctor who will snip the cord but if you do it can make all the difference. Any of you have any experience with this?

Thanks.

Default Re: Upper Lip tie

Lip ties can definitely cause latch issues, but IME, it doesn't make it impossible. From what I've read, it's best to look for a dentist who uses laser and is familiar with revising lip ties. The website kiddsteeth.com has lots of good info and pics. Did the LC say anything about a posterior tongue tie? Apparently they are pretty common with upper lip ties.

As far as latch goes, it can help to flip the upper lip up as you're latching. This blog has a good picture tutorial on how to do it http://thefunnyshapedwoman.blogspot....-frenulum.html

No, she didn't say he had a posterior tongue tie, but she says two things are going on with his tongue. He has a habit he picked up in the womb of sucking on it, which makes him thrust his tongue up and out, and there's also a "hump" towards the back where he thrusts the back up. She has us sort of petting the tongue and moving our fingers towards the front of the mouth to sort of smooth it out and make a groove where the nipple should go. Could that indicate a posterior tongue tie and she just didn't use the name for it?

I have the suspicion insurance won't cover this issue...

"maxillary frenulum which attaches into the papilla (the small bump of tissue just behind the area where the upper front teeth grow) and extends into the hard palate behind the front teeth"---- That's what it looks like mine has.
    Last edited by @llli*apifera; July 17th, 2013 at 04:34 PM.

The first website I posted has a good instructional video for how to check for PTT.

I was surprised, but my insurance actually covered having both ties lasered. The dentist's office gave me the procedure codes, I called the insurance company and they checked. It's definitely worth asking about.

We made an appointment with the Ped for friday to discuss this issue and see what she thinks... but it looks like we'd have more luck with a dentist?

I tried the method she gives on the site. I can see how it would be useful if he would open wide. He slurps at the nipple instead though, we've been trying everything to get him to open up but nothing has worked so far.

Ped confirmed an upper frenulum tie. She is having us meet with the practice LC to have her confirm that it is hindering latch. Then will send us to the ENT. She did caution that because he is gaining so well they probably won't be able to get us in soon.

Also since he is gaining so well, we were given the go ahead to try to just BF this weekend (and bottle feed milk if he still seems hungry) since he'll get weighed on Monday, since he has new interest in latching and wants to try frequently and I have lovely new blisters!

I never thought I'd be so proud of blisters...lol
    Last edited by @llli*apifera; July 19th, 2013 at 12:01 PM.

You're doing so amazingly well, mama! I cannot believe how hard you have worked and how persistent and patient you have been.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks

How can I encourage him to open up for a deep latch? Hè usually ends up right on the nipple because he slurps at it with practically closed lips. I have a raw red rim around the base of my nipple. If I could get him to open up I could get it in deeper. I know this is on relation to the tongue tie but the woman on the link above somehow got baby to open up. Mine can't be teased into doing it.

Also, I'm a bit unsure about this breastfeeding thing... worried I am not feeding him enough. As he latched a lot more in the last 24 hours, he's been taking less bottles. He latched for about 10 minutes every time he was due to eat the last three times, and didn't seem like he wanted more afterwards... but the latches were shallow and painful and I saw no evidence of milk during or afterwards, and he was only on ten minutes. So, I got worried and just offered him a small bottle, which he took but not with any gusto. And when I pumped I only got 50 mls, where usually I get about 120 after three hours. I really thought he wasn't getting anything... I can't tell though and it worries me.

Should I stop pumping or pump less so I actually have milk in there for his sudden frequent feedings?

Further, he hasn't latched since five and its almost nine. Offered him a second fifty ml and he was wide wake but refused it. He's had 455 mls I can track today and usually had between 700 and 800. Can babies refuse to eat and be ok?
    Last edited by @llli*apifera; July 19th, 2013 at 07:11 PM.

My daughter also has the upper lip tie that causes separated teeth (I have the same). When she nurses I flip her lip up gently. I found that she gets a deeper latch when she's cradle hold and slightly inclined toward my body. Not sure how that lady got her son to open big, either... I had to pray over my baby to make her latch at all when weaning her from a nipple shield (she would put her tongue over the nipple) and she latched after I prayed. When she was born she wouldn't latch. A nurse came in and put her index finger in my daughter's mouth. Every time she tried to put her tongue up, the nurse put her tongue underneath her finger. She did this until my daughter didn't put her tongue above her finger. After that she latched. I don't know how kind she was to my daughter's mouth looking back, but then I didn't know any better... or even what she was doing.

Also I don't know what anyone else will say, but don't give up. Your baby's diapers communicate whether or not he's had enough food. I would think, not to be trite at all please understand, that him refusing food would mean he's full. My experience is that a full breastfed baby doesn't take extra food. Also, the fact that there's less pumping output than usual should be encouraging... do you think he might be getting more milk than you think?

Something I'm learning about bfing is that it requires trusting your baby. He or she will communicate hunger or lack thereof. They're little people and they know their tummies. Don't worry about numbers and tracking. How does your son normally act when he's hungry? Is he behaving that way? It's a relationship, and every relationship is built on trust. Don't give up! (And please update when your son shows hunger signs. )
    Last edited by @llli*forecastofrain; July 19th, 2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Forgot something